52 12
Thread
Print

Lung Fu Shan Autumn 2010

So much rain today.  Waited until 2:00 pm and the rain was still heavy but I didn't want to wait any longer.  The Canon 7D is weatherproof... I hope.  

In the Po Shan Road area there were quite a few birds.  A group of 3 Asian Brown Flycatchers were not bothered by the rain.  There were a few warblers around but hard to get on them due to the rain.  Stopped by the Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher location.  No sign of it--maybe moved on.  Just I was ready to head home an Asian Paradise Flycatcher flew by chasing a moth.  Managed a few photos.  On the way home, a Swift flew by that looked like a Pacific.

Out in the morning on Po Shan Road before the noon rain came. Some rain around 10am.  So glad the Canon 7d is weatherproof.  Lots of birds moving around.  Maybe go back later today if the rain isn't bad. Here is a list.  

Besra--fantastic views.  Post some photos in a minute.
Forest Wagtail--1
Dark-sided Flycatcher--1
Asian Brown Flycatcer--7
Asian Paradise Flycatcher--1
Eastern Crowned Warbler--5
Arctic Warbler--2
possible Greenish Warbler--need to check photos
had one flycatcher that was very yellow underneath but didn't get a very clear view
Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler--2
Silver-eared Mesia--12

Brendan

13 Sep 2010-Po Shan Road

In the Po Shan Road area today the best bird was a Siberian Blue Robin.  Sorry for the low quality pictures.  Michelle and Peters photos from TPK are much better.  

Also in the area today lots of Arctic (~10) and Eastern Crowned Warblers (~4) Warblers and 1-2 Asian Brown Flycatchers.

15 Sep 2010--Po Shan Road

Best bird was a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler.  Also there are at least 2 and maybe 3 Besra in the area.  Kept seeing a Besra everywhere I went.

The good birds from this weekend, Asian Paradise Fly, Forest Wagtail, and Siberian Blue Robin, all seem to have left.  A few Arctic Warblers are still around.  Probably the Besras are not helping the numbers of other birds.

Attachment

Palelegged.JPG (108.62 KB)

15/09/2010 10:31

Palelegged.JPG

Besra15Sep.JPG (98.96 KB)

15/09/2010 10:31

Besra15Sep.JPG

Good to know the Forest Wagtail is still around.  Guess it was hiding from me today morning.

I suspect Po Shan Road is a bit of a migrant trap.  Birds heading south stop when they hit the vast concrete jungle of Sai Wan/Sheng Wan/Central.  Furthermore, this location is much better in the fall than in the spring.  This site also seems better when there is some precipitations during the night as this seems to make migrants land more than clear skies. There certainly were a lot more birds during this rainy weekend than during the (sunny and pleasant) week. The area there is quite small.  Of course, it is at the base of the mountain so there is a lot of habitat but not much that is accessible.  It's an area that is best to check frequently because it doesn't take much time and because migrants don't seem to stick around there a long time.  I usually go there in the morning but it can certainly be good in the afternoon too.

However, having said all that, I would say seeing Forest Wagtail and Pale-legged Leaf Warbler is already quite good and those certainly are good birds for a afternoon birding trip.

A female/immature Yellow-rumped Flycatcher was on Po Shan Road this morning.  The dial on my camera had shifted so I messed up the shot up a bit.  Also a number of both Eastern Crowned and Arctic Warblers.

[ Last edited by brendank at 17/09/2010 10:43 ]

Today a bit quiet on Po Shan Road.  Best bird was a nice close Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler.  About a dozen Arctic Warblers around too.  

2 photographs of the the Pale-legged Leaf Warbler.

22 Sep 2010-Po Shan Road

Had a warbler that confused me for a while today. Decided it must be the first of the Autumn Yellow-browed Warbler based on the small, darkish bill and clear double wingbars.

Attachment

yellowbrowed1.JPG (39.3 KB)

22/09/2010 11:14

yellowbrowed1.JPG

yellowbrowed2.JPG (38.91 KB)

22/09/2010 11:14

yellowbrowed2.JPG

23 Sep 2010 -- Po Shan Road

After returning from Po Toi where I managed to miss the Wryneck, I stopped for a short time at Po Shan Road.  On Po Toi Island today there were good numbers of both Dark-sided and Asian Brown Flycatchers and this was repeated here.  I had at least 3 each or Dark-sided and Asian Brown Flycatchers.  

At dusk, I like to walk down the concrete trail at the end of Po Shan Road hoping for thrushes and other birds to come out on the trail.  This strategy proved to be productive tonight when I had the second Siberian Blue Robin of the season out on the trail.  It was female tonight, unlike the immature Siberian Blue Robin I had at almost exactly the same location about 10 days ago.  Unfortunately, it was so dark that all my photos were really blurry and dim.

Photo of one of the Dark-sided Flycatchers.

[ Last edited by brendank at 23/09/2010 21:27 ]

24 Sep 2010--Po Shan Road

I could not relocate the Siberian Blue Robin or any of the Grey-sided Flycatchers seen yesterday but an Asian Paradise Flycatcher was seen from the concrete trail.  About a half dozen Arctic and 1 Eastern-crowned Warbler also remain.

26 September 2010-Po Shan Road

Most warblers (4 species) I have ever seen on Po Shan Road (or in Hong Kong for that matter).  The highlight was having a small flock of 5 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warblers.  Have been looking really hard for a Greenish Warbler but as of yet no candidates. Despite the large numbers of warblers the only other migrant was a Dark-sided Flycatcher.

5 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warblers
2 Yellow-browed Warblers
~30 Arctic Warblers
2 Eastern Crowned Warblers
1 Grey-streaked Flycatcher

Photos of the Pale-legged, Yellow-browed and Arctic Warbler.

Po Shan Road--30 Sep 2010

I haven't posted anything here for a while mainly because there haven't been many birds on Po Shan Road this week.  Most of the warblers from Sunday have left. Two Dark-sided Flycatchers have been hanging around.

Today the Dark-sided Flycatchers were joined by a Grey-streaked Flycatcher.  I also saw a Coucal which based on size I thought was a Lesser Coucal.  I have never seen either species of Coucal before on Po Shan Road so maybe post breeding dispersal.  The only warbler I had today was a Yellow-browed.

5 Oct 10--Po Shan Road

Last few I time I have checked Po Shan Road there have been very few birds. Definitely no Rollers around. Today was still quite slow. Two Asian Brown Flycatchers, one Arctic Warbler, and a Crested Goshawk.  Only second Crested Goshawk I have had on Po Shan Road.

6 Oct 10--Po Shan Road

Want to be out looking for the Roller but simply not enough time today! A fast trip to Po Shan Road produced one Dusky/Radde's Warbler.  I didn't get a photo which frustrated me because it seems (given a number of other reports) Radde's Warbler is at least possible.  I also had a Blue Rock Thrush perched high on Realty Gardens.

7 Oct 10--Po Shan Road

Just 2 Dark-sided Flycatchers.  Not much else.

8 Oct 10--Po Shan Road

Today still rather quiet.  One each of Red-throated Flycatcher, Asian Brown Flycatcher and Eastern Crowned Warbler.

[ Last edited by brendank at 8/10/2010 13:44 ]

Believe me Mike, I was very very interested in this bird and ran home to look at my field guides!  I have never seen a Red-throated Flycatcher this buffy before.

The problem I had with Red-breasted Flycatcher is that I just can't see any paleness on the base of the bill on this bird in any photo.  And the bill structure seems more like a Red-throated than a Red-breasted from pics I saw on the net and in the photo guide.  

I didn't really consider the uppertail coverts. I suppose it should be blacker on Red-throated?

No calls heard.

I do have some more photos but I am not at home now.  I can post later tonight.

Mike, this is the best shot I got of the uppertail coverts.  They look quite black to me so I would definitely lean toward a very bright Red-throated Flycatcher.  It would have be nice but...

12 Oct 2010--Po Shan Road

There have been very few migrants for the last 2 weeks then suddenly a lot today though nothing unusual.  Did not see any Black Drongos.

17 Arctic Warbler
3 Yellow-browed Warbler
3 Asian Brown Flycatcher

By the Lung Fu Shan environmental education center I also saw a Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker.  I have never seen this species at Lung Fu Shan before so maybe a migrant?

No doubt Sb Flowerpecker does bread at Lung Fu Shan but near the environmental center I haven't heard or seen one before and I am in this area at least briefly everyday.  Surely, they can't be anywhere near as common at Lung Fu Shan as at TPK.

Since Sb Flowpeckers are colonizing HK island, I hope Crested Serpent Eagles, Mountain Bulbuls, Great Barbets, Pygmy Wren Babblers, Hainan Blue Flycatchers, Bay Woodpeckers, etc will follow suit!

13 Oct 2010 - Po Shan Road

1 Asian Paradise Flycatcher
1 Asian Brown Flycatcher
1 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler
6 Arctic Warbler
6 Yellow-browed Warbler

22 October 2010--Po Shan Road

Over the last two weeks Po Shan Road has been extremely quiet.  Today there was a lot of activity and lots of birds although nothing rare.

5 Asian Brown Flycatchers
1 Red-throated Flycatcher (seems to be the buffy one I saw 8 Oct)
4 Arctic Warblers
11 Yellow-browed Warblers

After a very good September, October on Po Shan Road has been quiet boring.  Today, 3 Arctic Warblers and 2 Asian Brown Flycatchers remain but not much else.  I have been searching hard for Greenish Warbler. It is a good time now for one to appear.

Unfortunately, Po Shan Road has been as bad as Po Toi is been good.  This is of course frustrating when one considers that birds which arrive at Po Toi must be flying over HK Island.  Today it was quite still 2 Arctic Warbler (getting late for them) amongst about 6 Yellow-browed Warblers.

Also, a bit of hawk flight.  Four Common Buzzards were circling overhead and a Peregrine Falcon passed by.

That would imply that Shek O and Sai Kung would be good spots as well as they are on the coastal route too.  Seems few people go to Sai Kung and no one goes to Shek O.

Po Shan Road is back in business! Nothing much at all in October but some good birds today.

1 Blue-and-white Flycatcher
3 Mugimaki Flycatcher
1 Daurian Redstart
1 Arctic Warbler (getting late)
6 Yellow-browed Warbler

9 Nov 10 - Po Shan Road

1 Verditer Flycatcher (first of the fall for me; last year 3 birds wintered on Po Shan Road)
1 Mugimaki Flycatcher

No time for Po Shan Road this morning but a Scaly Thrush was seen behind the main campus of HKU.

I didn't go to Po Shan Road today due to time constraints but a first of the fall for me Pallas's Leaf Warbler and a Crested Goshawk were near Lung Fu Shan environmental education center.

12 Nov 2010--PoShan Road

Meet Fatchun this morning on Po Shan Road and the pattern developing is that I get to see the good birds he discovers.  Today he found this lovely Japanese Paradise Flycatcher (my 13th flycatcher species on Po Shan Road) on the cement trail!  I believe this is latest fall record according to the Avifauna.  Has there been any later records?

We also had a possible Greenish Warbler.  I can post some pics of that later.

He also had a Rufous-tailed Robin.  I saw an Asian Brown Flycatcher and when leaving a Mugimaki Flycatcher.

Interestingly enough I have never had Asian Stubtail Warbler at Po Shan Road.  You did very good to find two new Po Shan Road birds today. Right now Po Shan Road seems to be in a bit of flycatcher mode.  Once thrushes start arriving in force things will be even more exciting.

Having seen that warbler. I would am very much inclined to call it a Greenish Warbler.  The main problem for me is the leg color which seemed a bit too pale. Seeing this photos, it appears the eye-stripe is rather grayish rather than black and I wonder if that is a characteristic of Greenish Warblers.  I will post some my pictures later tonight in the ID forum.

Yes it would appear you are right.  These are not my photos so I can't really comment but it does appear to be two different birds.

Oh very nice. Another new Po Shan Road bird. On the day I am elsewhere.

15 Nov 2010--Po Shan Road

No Eyebrowed Thrush but I did find a female Blue-and-white Flycatcher.  A different one from imm male I had last week but in the same exact tree.  Isn't it late for these?

Also, 1 Verditer Flycatcher, 3 Asian Stubtail Warblers, and 1 Olive-backed Pipit

[ Last edited by brendank at 15/11/2010 10:07 ]

16 Nov 2010 - Po Shan Road

The female immature Blue-and-white Flycatcher is still in the trees near the lower curve in Po Shan Road.  Other than that it was very quiet today.

17 Nov 2010--Po Shan Road

As I have said before migration of Po Shan Road feels a bit "late".  Today, evidence of that was a late Arctic Warbler.

A female Buff-bellied Flowerpecker was new for my Po Shan Rd List.  Also, 2 Verditer Flycatcher (a female and very nice male), a Rufous-tailed Robin and 1 Asian Stubtail Warbler.

Yes, I do have more photos but unfortunately I am not at home so I don't have them handy at this exact moment.  I didn't think of Yellow-streaked Warbler but did consider Radde's Warbler.  I have not seen Radde's Warbler yet but the reason's I didn't think it was Radde's Warbler were:

1. Behavior--the bird was NOT secretive and furthermore was spending it's time time in the mid to upper levels of the canopy. This seemed more like an Arctic Warbler.
2. Calls: Heard 1-2 calls. They seemed consistent with Arctic Warbler (certainly not like Dusky) but I don't have experience with Radde's Warbler.

Curious, Paul, what behavior would you expect for Yellow-streaked Warbler?

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... &extra=page%3D1

Take the cement trail until it opens up and gives you a nice open view from which you can see Sheng Wan and Central.  There are some lower bushes with climbers on the left.  It was in that general area.

Looked for the Yellow-streaked/Radde's again today.  Couldn't find it but I think it still could be there.  I didn't have that much time.  Highlight was another female Blue-and-White Flycatcher (at quite a different spot from the one on Monday). The third this November. mguy it's your turn now!

Yes, I saw this bird today too.  Seemed to be hanging around the environmental center building this morning.  I kept trying to convince it to accompany to Po Shan Road so I can add to the Po Shan Road list. I only need approximately 230 species to go level with the Po Toi list.

21 Nov 2010

The female Blue-and-white Flycatcher is still on Po Shan Road and there was also a Mugimaki flycatcher.  Otherwise quite quiet.

23 Nov 2010 - Po Shan Road

1 Eyebrowed Thrush
1 Black-winged Cuckooshrike (first for Po Shan Road)
1 Mugimaki Flycatcher
2 Rufus-tailed Robin
2 Asian Stubtail Warbler

24 Nov 2010-- Po Shan Road

1 Black-winged Cuckooshrike
2 Verditer Flycatcher
2 Mugimaki Flaycatcher
1 Asian Stubtail Warbler
4 Pallas's Leaf Warbler
1 Radde's/Yellow-streaked Warbler

29 Nov 2010 - Po Shan Road

Best bird today was a Lesser Shortwing calling about a dozen times by the start of the concrete trail.  Got some quick looks but couldn't manage a photo.  I have been listening for this species (and Pygmy Wren-Babbler at this location for quite a while). I think Lesser Shortwing might be new for Lung Fu Shan.

Also seen to day:

1 Red-flanked Bluetail (first of the Autumn)
1 Verditer Flycatcher
1 Asian Brown Flycatcher
1 Mugimaki Flycatcher

[ Last edited by brendank at 29/11/2010 21:49 ]

It seems this winter there will be a big irruption of Chestnut Bulbuls.  There seem to be many on Po Toi and Lamma Islands although I am bit surprised Chestnut Bulbuls haven't started recolonizing HK Island yet.  

Very quiet on Po Shan Road.  I could not relocate the Lesser Shortwing or any of the flycatchers from yesterday.

2 December 2010 - Po Shan Road

Just had a Small Niltava 150 yards down the concrete trail.  

I know the picture is badly out of focus but my reasons for identifying this bird as a Small Niltava rather than a Blue-and-white Flycatcher are:

1) Small size (not apparent from the photo).  Appeared Tailorbird-size.
2) Very bright and contrasting blue rump which seems to apparent on Small Niltava but less so on Blue-and-white Flycatcher.

Unfortunately, this bird was flushed as soon as I saw it by a dog walker.

[ Last edited by brendank at 2/12/2010 23:39 ]

Just to give you an idea of how confusing all these blue flycatchers are on Po Shan Road here is a picture of a Verditer and (what I now think is a) Blue-and-white Flycatcher. I had these bird yesterday, 2 December, before finding the Niltava.  These are definitely not that bird because they were in a completely different location from the Niltava.

I didn't see much on Po Shan Road this morning.

[ Last edited by brendank at 3/12/2010 23:01 ]

Has been a slow week on Po Shan Road.  Today there was a pandoo Blue Rock Thrush and a Mountain Taylorbird.

By the LFS Environmental Center Entrance there was a Chestnut Bunting (I prefer getting birds like this on Po Shan Road for my list there rather at LFS).

52 12
Thread