Thread
Print

Tai Po Kau Autumn 2010

27 Aug afternoon
-Eastern Crowned Warbler

A COOL walk today after the cold front.

Nothing special in the first two bird waves on the access road - usual nuthatches, a number of scarlet-backed flowerpeckers, Minlas, Yellow- cheeked Tits and Rufous-capeed Babblers.

Another bird-wave encountered near the broken bridge on the blue walk was much more exciting. I spotted my first Black-naped monach of the season inside those fulvettas and Yellow-cheeked Tits. Another Dark-sided Flycatcher caught my eyes seconds after. Also i had brief sight of an Asian Paradise Flycatcher on the other side of the stream.
The bird of the day (and probably the bird of the month for me) was a Black-throated Tit mixed inside the wave. It was in superb adult plumage. Seen at a distance, i was wondering what it was and thought of an Australian species (Eastern Spinebill) at first glance. Lucky enough to get a few poor record photos before it disappered inside the bird wave.

For those visiting in the weekend, pay extra attention to every bird wave!

[ Last edited by Beetle at 15/10/2010 17:45 ]

21-Oct-2010

Quite quiet this afternoon.

Only an adult Black-naped Oriole was seen, which is a little bit unusual for Tai Po Kau.
Also a shy robin-sized bird discovered by CO Wong in the outdoor education centre, singing at times, which i suspect it was a lesser shortwing after listening to recordings on the web.

for those who are interested, the song was exactly like the one in this video i found on the web.
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/les ... ing-position-follow

[ Last edited by Beetle at 21/10/2010 22:17 ]

23 Oct 2010

I also heard lesser shortwing singing this afternoon (around 3:30pm) on the access road, but it was on the other side of the valley.

Could only pick up an Asian Paradise Flycatcher inside one of the bird-waves - seems the typhoon didn't bring in new birds to TPK.

Thread