Thread
Print

Long Valley Autumn 2010

18-Sep-2010--Long Valley

2 Grey Plover (strikes me as bird that might not have been recorded at LV)
~14 Swinhoe's/Pintail Snipe
1 Common Snipe
1 Greater Painted Snipe
1 Red Turtle Dove

Post pictures of a Grey Plover, Swintail Snipe, and Red Turtle Dove.  If anyone can say whether it looks like Pintail or Swinhoe's, please do. I have read that the legs extend longer on the Pintail Snipe but this is not definitive.

It seems that I incorrectly IDed the Pacific Golden Plovers on 18 Sep.  I had IDed the bird in flight as a Grey Plover because I had thought the birds had black axilliaries and in the photo it also looked like the bird had black axillaries but it is clear they are Pacific Golden Plovers from the more recent photos.

[ Last edited by brendank at 20/09/2010 13:20 ]

9 Oct 2010--Long Valley

Nice day at LV.

1 Eurasian Skylark (pictures in my other post)
3 Pacific Golden Plover
1 Green Sandpiper
2 Swintail Snipes
1 Peregrine Falcon--the chain attached to its tarsus makes me think it's not a wild bird
1 Besra--John Allcock can correct me if I am wrong (based on shape but mesial stripe is not very strong)
1 Gray Wagtail
3 Red-throated Pipit
3 Richard's Pipit
1 Asian Brown Flycatcher
4 Dusky Warbler
4 Yellow-breasted Bunting (never really landed but keep circling around the rice)

[ Last edited by brendank at 9/10/2010 23:18 ]

Looks like Japanese Paradise Flycatcher to me.  Any views of the back?

[ Last edited by brendank at 14/02/2011 18:14 ]

After a quick trip to get the Bean Geese at Mai Po went to Long valley. Nice weather today

1 Amur Falcon (high flyover; not sure if it is on the Long valley list but probably won't be allowed because I think generally flyovers are not counted)
1 Eurasian Skylark (heard)
1 Swintail Snipe
4 Chestnut-eared Buntings
~25 Yellow-breasted Buntings

Attachment

amur1.JPG (46.46 KB)

7/11/2010 23:30

amur1.JPG

amur2.JPG (59.64 KB)

amur2.JPG

chestnuteared.JPG (115.47 KB)

chestnuteared.JPG

ybbunting.JPG (64.08 KB)

ybbunting.JPG

With regard to the Yellow-breasted Buntings, I was birding in the area with the waist-high grass for quite some time.  At one point there was a group of 10 Yellow-Breasted Buntings landed in the grass.  Then a half an hour later there was a group of 8 there.  The whole time I was standing there (1.5 hour) about every 3 minutes a small group of 1-3 YB Buntings would flyover head.  Of course, these Buntings were flying ever which way so it was hard to know which ones I had counted already. So I think 12 would be a very conservative count but realistically I would estimate there was around 25.

[ Last edited by brendank at 16/11/2010 18:52 ]

"I'm still wondering to add this record to the LV list but they're not using the farmland."

This comment was from the Bean Geese thread.  It made me believe that birds on the LV list needed to be using the farmland specifically.

Thread