Thread
Print

Fatal Attack

Fatal Attack

Mai Po. 27 September 2010.
Murderer: Long-tailed Shrike
Victim: Red-necked Stint

I am sorry that this red-necked stint ended its journey in Hong Kong. I was shocked by the attacking action of the long-tailed shrike.

Wow!! Great record!!! This is my first time seeing Long-tailed Shrike attacking a bird with similar size!!
The shrike only kill the stint but not eating it??

In Hong Kong, I thought that only humans would kill each other for no reasons at all.

It seems that the local birds are learning from humans.

There were many other birds nearby. The long-tailed shrike was scared by a little egret and left.

Which means that it wasn't a gratuitous attack. The shrike was planning to feed on the stint. Which is what one would expect. Difficult to think of any evolutionary advantage for killing without a motive.

GeoffC

Great series of photo.  Photography is a great way to watch birds.  Thank you very much, I learn something.

HF Cheung

Wow! An amazing series of photos. The stint would have made a very good meal for the shrike, if it had not been scared by the egret. I seem to remember a few years ago photos of a Long-tailed Shrike attacking a Skylark in Long Valley. It seems that small birds may form part of the diet of this species, if it is able to catch them. We must remember that this is part of the cycle of nature not a senseless, unmotivated murder.

Thread