Thread
Print

European Roller

Directions: go past the turn off to Black Point Power Station, the road starts to go up hill through a large cutting, the bird is about 150 m past the turn off, perching on lamp post and hunting.

It is a first year bird, and quite stunning!  I have poor records shots (taken with a Canon G10!) which I will postf need be, but hopefully the photographers will get something a little better.

Well found David Stanton - I owe him a beer!!!

For those who voiced concerns about the plumage condition and bill hook, the following photo is of interest:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.p ... mp;picture_id=35335

Don't really see how stable isotope analysis would make any difference.  These are presumably all originally wild birds.  My understanding is that stable isotope analysis helps when you are addressing the feral and/or escape captive bred bird vs wild migratory bird question.  As Mike states, a recent example of this was a UK Marbled Teal which was, as I recall, shown to have originated in western Europe, conversely a Dutch Baikal Teal was found to have originated from central Siberia.

If based on stable isotope analysis it could be demonstated that the Roller originated from Xinjiang, that would not help demonstrate that it had arrived in HK naturally.

Thread