Thread
Print

Common Stonechat ( maura)

Common Stonechat ( maura)

Lok Ma Chau
5th October, 2010

Thanks Paul L for the call & John H & Ah Wai for the free rides.

PS-Same bird but under different lighting & background.

Cheers
PWMK

[ Last edited by wleepoin at 6/10/2010 08:04 ]

Another angle of the same bird.

Attachment

sc1-2.jpg (113.32 KB)

5/10/2010 22:00

sc1-2.jpg

http://johnjemi.hk

Thank you Paul, John and PWMK

Thanks all for the sharing of this great subspecies!

May I ask how to differentiate between this maura ss and the one we usually see in HK?    Any diagnostic features?
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Earlier this year, IOC (and therefore HKBWS) adopted a split in Siberian Stonechat, separating the Eastern stejnegeri as a separate species (Stejneger's Stonechat) from the more westerly maurus (and other subspecies). The common form in Hong Kong is Stejneger's, thus this bird is a potential new species for Hong Kong!

Separation of the two is still slightly uncertain: Paul Leader is looking into how they are different. The most notable differences compared to typical Hong Kong birds are that this individual seems paler (above and below), with a stronger supercilium.

Stonechat mysteries

A couple more shots of "maurus" ??? stonechat at LMC, with what I trust is "stejnegeri" for comparison  (2010-Oct-06)

Attachment

maura_Oct_jjh2.jpg (55.13 KB)

11/10/2010 18:23

maura_Oct_jjh2.jpg

maura_Oct_jjh1.jpg (68.61 KB)

maura_Oct_jjh1.jpg

stegnegeri_Oct_jjh1.jpg (64.18 KB)

stegnegeri_Oct_jjh1.jpg

http://johnjemi.hk

Maybe just me but I can't see any obvious difference.

The original maurus photos did look a bit unusual (supercilium anyway) but John's putative stejnegeri - presumably just another random Stonechat that happened to be around nearby? - looks to have a very similar super and to be otherwise identical except maybe in the crown streaking.

Mike Turnbull

Also whiter alula, if that's what it is.

Mike Turnbull

Thread