Thread
Print

Rufous-tailed Robin - Lamma Island

Rufous-tailed Robin - Lamma Island

As per usual...... the first thrush of the season to visit my garden is a Rufous-tailed Robin. With luck he/she will be a daily visitor for the next 5 or so months together with a mate.

Lamma Island
D3 w/ Nikkor 500 F4
2010/10/24 17:39:58
Focus Mode:        AF-C
AF-Area Mode:        Single
Shutter Speed:        1/60s
Exposure Mode:        Manual
Exposure Comp.:        -0.3EV
Metering:        Matrix
ISO Sensitivity:        ISO 1250

[ Last edited by mguy at 11/11/2010 17:52 ]

Guy,

Great photo... I'd like to get this one around here..

John
http://johnjemi.hk

Hi John. Thanks yr comment.
Yes, is nice to see him/her again.
Has been in daily since I took the photo, but always in bad light.....
Another shot from yesterday....

Guy

[ Last edited by mguy at 28/10/2010 06:51 ]

Stunning photos, like the 1st one very much.

Fantastic shots...thanks for sharing...

Thanks all... another shot from yesterday after he/she had finished bathing. She is a daily visitor.

D3 w/Nikkor 500m F/4D

Another shot of the Rufous-tailed Robin from today.....

Very Good Photo

Really love seeing the photos you took in this thread. Despite bathing, the robin remained elegant every time you pressed the shutter. Perhaps, it has come up to a tacit agreement about your presence in its bathing time, so it was never in a hurry to do it and thus so elegant every time you photographed it.
Just kidding.
There must be many more beautiful shots to come, so let us sit back and wait.
Regards,
Pete

Thanks both.
Wing.... yesterday she came in for about 20 minutes although is still quite nervous.
Think is the same bird for the last 2 years.
Needless to say I took a lot of photos yesterday, but still gave her plenty of quiet time to bathe. Will see if I can find some nice ones of her bathing
Photo was taken at 40s, 6.3f, ISO 1250... light was bad.

Thanks once again.
Guy

Guy, given that this is a first winter (note the small pale tips to the greater coverts), I very much doubt this is the same returning bird! In fact based on the pattern of the greater coverts I would think you have photographed two different individuals this autumn.  This is perhaps not surprising, as many Rufous-tailed Robins at this time of year are passage birds.

Excellent photos though.

Thanks Paul.... once again..... quite possible as I thought that I had 2, maybe 3 pass thru last year, although am fairly sure that one stayed from November to March
Thanks, Guy

Can't stop taking photos of this little lady either........

[ Last edited by mguy at 16/11/2010 20:50 ]

I wish I had a similar spot near my home....

Hi Beetle........ I did too......... so I built it.
Fortunately I have a largish garden on Lamma and it was probably easier in some ways for me.
Having said that though.., that was not the really hard part.
I am sure it would be possible to find a good spot within 15 minutes of where you live...... the hard part is going to the same spot over a period of years and spending several hours each day at that spot and developing it. The other problem is neglecting all the other areas where there are probably other/better species. For me, Mai Po is like the other side of the world.
I would be quite happy to give you some pointers.......
All the best, Guy

This last bird is an adult, so different from your previous birds.

Seems like I'm running a Rufous-tailed Robin waystation
Guy

Ok..... now I know for sure I have 2 different Rufous-tailed Robins visiting. But no way I can tell which is which.
The first images are of 2 different birds that came in to bathe today at the same time... they weren't too friendly toward one another, but at least they share a bath...

and maybe a 3rd... these 2 photos are of a bird that came in yesterday..(it seemed skinnier)

[ Last edited by mguy at 17/11/2010 21:28 ]

And some Rufous-tailed Robin bathing shots from today..

More Rufous-tailed Robin shots.
From about 16:00 to about 18:00 on each of the last 2 days there has been a continuous bathing fest.... one would bathe for about 10 mins... leave... and then another would arrive a few minutes later.
Don't know if is the same ones returning each time or a bunch of them taking turns.
For a very secretive and not often photographed bird...... they are very very obvious.
So with little else to photograph while they're at it.... some more photos....

D3 w/Nikkor 500m F/4D

[ Last edited by mguy at 22/11/2010 18:50 ]

From today....

[ Last edited by mguy at 24/11/2010 20:47 ]

Rufous-tailed Robin.... 2 came to the garden this morning & at least 4 this afternoon....

R T Robins

W-a-a-a-a-h !
http://johnjemi.hk

Nice to see someone else likes Rufous-tailed Robins....

Think this is a new arrival today..... came in during the day instead of early morning or late afternoon & was acting completely differently..

[ Last edited by mguy at 30/11/2010 19:46 ]

Rufous-tailed Robin......

Haven't posted one of these for a while despite 2/3 being daily visitors to the garden.....

Lamma Island - 19 & 20/12/2010 - North facing hillside near water
D3 w/Nikkor 500mm F/4D

Thread