Thread
Print

[Ducks] Smew - 白秋沙鴨 ( female )

Maybe Andy did not have access to the internet to post pictures until the evening and/or did not have the phone number for Birdline (or had no phone signal at Mai Po!). If the bird was only present for 20 minutes, it's perhaps immaterial anyway - it could have been reported almost immediately after observation, and no-one could have got there!

Congatulations to Andy and thank you for posting these pictures so that we are all aware of this lovely bird, and have the opportunity to look for it at Mai Po, in case it is still present.

[ Last edited by ajohn at 27/11/2010 23:03 ]

I agree with Paul that the best response may have been to highlight the presence of an 'odd duck on Pond 20' to others - perhaps to Mai Po staff? That way, someone could have had the opportunity to check the bird and see whether it was something unusual (as in this case). A similar situation happened with the Great Thick-knee and Black Scoter (thanks to Bena for both!), and longer ago also with the Siberian Crane. And no doubt also other birds.

Sorry if I previously came across as abrupt to Richard. Like everyone else, I appreciate the hard work he does on the Birdline and can understand his frustration at not hearing about the bird. I responded because I didn't think the delay in posting photos was excessive or unexplainable (i.e. Andy wanted time to check the ID and access the website), and because I didn't want to deter Andy from continuing to post on the website.

For those who are not 'in the loop' and have not yet heard, the smew was apparently again present at Mai Po on Pond 4 this morning (I have not yet had the opportunity to look for it).

Given the controversy previously caused by the delay I am surprised that the information is not yet on here, or on Birdline.

Sorry if you misunderstood Mike. I was not suggesting you had done anything wrong. I was surprised the info wasn't available because:
1. I thought Birdline could be accessed and updated remotely, so was surprised Richard had not done so. Evidently this is not possible.
2. I was surprised no-one who you had contacted (thanks for the call btw!) had been able to post anything, either before leaving or remotely.

After all, not everyone is necessarily in the same loop of friends!

Thread