Thread
Print

[Ducks] Smew - 白秋沙鴨 ( female )

Dear Andy Please could you let us know where at Mai Po you saw this excellent bird!

Many thanks
Mike

[ Last edited by kmike at 27/11/2010 06:22 ]
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Apparently the bird was seen for just 20 minutes on Friday morning at Pond 20.

There was no sign this morning, but the Bean Geese were on Pond 3, 2 Gadwall were on Pond 5 and a Grey Headed Lapwing was on the drained geiwai - No 7 I think.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for posting the record John.

The bird was not on Birdline for the simple reason that Richard and I were out in the field until at least 1230, and neither the Birdline machine nor the BBS can be updated remotely (at least not but technology dinosaurs like us!).

All birders whose numbers we have were called. Since over 100 people had a chance to see the bird within an hour of its discovery and some within 15 minutes, the situation is very different from the previous discovery.

The bird was found on Pond 4 (near the Rocky Outcrop) at the north end of Mai Po at about 0945 and present until at least 1110, but had flown off twice. There is some thought that that this might be a different bird from the previous one. Hopefully the photos will tell the story.

Mike K

No worries John

My email was sent to inform (many people don't know how old the BirdLine technology is) and cut off another round of unhelpful emails, which seems to have worked pretty well.

There should be plenty of Smew around in England with weather like you're having there!

Cheers
Mike

Thread