Thread
Print

[Frigatebirds] Lesser Frigatebird

Lesser frigatebird at Magazine Gap

Dear all

I disagree that all Lesser Frigatebirds were found by the Black-eared Kite Research Group. How about
the one around 1997?

I've also had reservation about the conservation-producing power of the group. They are putting up a lot
of effort in studying b-e kites. But from my observation the groups of kites found in HK are in excellent
state. They are at peak as regards population support enviros and quite diversified. Have the study group
paid attention to the group of kites on Lamma Island as well? They are propsering there! Have the group gone there to count them? The group at Magazine Gap have members of it harassing not playing with the Lesser Frigatebird.  They were chasing the bird when I found the latter on Thursday evening.

So I advise those who want to see the bird do hurry. When the frigatebird finds the disturbance unbearable, it probably will go elsewhere.

Anyhow thanks for the info about the bird. It quite amounts to nearest distance we've been able to
observe and photo a seabird.

S L Tai

NB I do hope everyone here understands when I put forward different opinions. Cool water is a lot of
times good for a 'hot-head'. And I always support myself with objective observation and findings.

Dear all

I looked up Avifauna of HK an hour ago to find support to my revlelation. The 1997 bird was missed by me although I still have Mike Turnbull to thank for taking me up to Magazine Gap on his way home on the Peak.

We old hands do remember our birding trials, failures as well as successes.

As regards overlapping of survey, the population/group at Magazine Gap is strategically poistioned to
facilitate its members to go to southern coastal waters of HK, naturally for some wandering to and beyond
Lamma. For raptors it is an easy task. It is also humanly visible. But to do surveys I think I would go
to the birds' roosting/breeding sites during evenings/mornings before they leave for their daily feeding.

I opine relying solely on common sense. I'm no trained/experienced bird counter for b-e kites.

I intend to help but I still think the present admirable survey efforts of some would better be
diverted elsewhere. White-bellied sea eagles deserve our attention for their selective way of taking
up breeding/roosting places. For this Gary has my unreserved support for his effort.

S L Tai

對駱先生的點滴回應

駱先生你好:

香港是個華洋夾雜的地方, 相對而言, 明白英文的華人比兼通中文的洋人多, 因此小弟採用英語在此欄作
溝通的媒介, 請見諒!

這個短訊亦是倚賴小蒙恬, 經過多番掙扎、改字眼才完成o 情况許可、我會雙語表達o

戴尚禮上
S L Tai

Thread