Thread
Print

LV Autumn 2011 塱原秋

I can add that there were 2 Pechora Pipits present today, and at least 4 Pallas's Grasshopper Warblers. Also at least 10 Daurian Starling (with 35 White-shouldered) and a Ruddy-breasted Crake.
I managed to see your small crake again later in the day, but only a very brief flushed view. I am also starting to think it may be a juvenile Baillon's.

In answer to Brendan's question, the starling flock was fairly mobile around the north-eastern part of the valley, feeding in various trees around the agricultural land. The Daurian were giving extremely good views at times.

Early, yes, but not exceptional. I can confirm there was definitely a Little Bunting at LV on Saturday.
The earliest date in the avifauna is 6th October but I think there have been a number of earlier records in recent years.

The long primary projection shown by the bird on HKWildlife would favour ID as Eurasian Skyklark. Oriental should show little or no primary projection.

In the field also (in flight) look for the white trailing edge to the wings on Eurasian (not on Oriental) and the call is also distinctive - very musical on Eurasian (very familiar to those of us who have lived in Europe) and apparently more 'buzzy' on Oriental (but I admit I am not familiar with Oriental call).

Yes, clearly a Greylag.
...but that has to be one of the most obvious cage damaged birds I've seen. The hkwildlife pictures show there are no feathers on the back of the neck, vitually no tail, and severe damage to the whole of the culmen (top of the bill).

Greylag Goose is long overdue in HK, but I don't think this one is going to get past the RC as a genuinely wild bird!

Thread