Thread
Print

Po Toi Winter 2011-12

29 Jan 2012

1 Radde's Warbler
1 Brown Shrike
4 Japanese Thrush
5 Black-faced Bunting
2 Red-flanked Bluetail (first I have seen this year!)
1 Rufus-tailed Robin

Tried seawatching a while in afternoon. A group of 20 or so Hueglin's Gulls was seen. Suppose these aren't migrants yet just wintering birds.

19 February 2012

1 Black-naped Monarch
1 Brown Shrike
12 Japanese Thrush
1 Red-flanked Bluetail
2 Rufus-tailed Robin

From the south penisula:
55 Hueglin's Gull
1 Black-tailed Gull

Going home on the ferry, I saw a phalarope which seems early for a migrant. It was quite dark at that point and didn't have my camera out so I didn't take a photo. I believe it was Red-necked Phalarope. The wingstrip was narrower than I have seen on Red Phalaropes before but I was thinking about that possibility.

26 Feb 2012

I reached south peninsula sea watch point at 1500. As soon as I set-up I spotted a very large group of gulls headed north in the channel. I was surprised to find they were all Black-tailed Gulls. From 1500-1600 I had 6 flocks of 20+ birds passing north. Interestingly after 1600 the big flocks stopped coming and it mostly small groups of 1-3 Black-tailed Gulls in the channel. Counted 172 Black-tailed Gulls but likely missed many before I arrived. 95% were 1st winter bird. Last Sunday I only saw 1 Black-tailed Gull, changes a lot in a week.

Also, had about 60 Heuglin's Gulls cruising up and down the channel. Those were about 95% adults.

Po Toi island itself was slow, just a few Japanese Thrush, a Grey-backed Thrush, some Black-faced Buntings, a Grey Wagtail, a Peregrine Falcon, and ringed and rather desperate looking racing pigeon.

Thread