Thread
Print

Northern Goshawk?? 蒼鷹??

To bring up an old matter, I saw three separate birds like this in the winter of 1988-89:

a) Tai Po Kau - perched high up on the ridge in early December
b) Lai Chi Wo - again perched in a pine tree in very late December or early January
c) Lam Tsuen Valley - this bird was seen in flight as it slowly moved across the valley and was being mobbed by crows and was MASSIVE (also seen by Richard Lewthwaite). This record was in mid-late January

All the dates are approximate and are from memory.

All the records were submitted at the time, but were not accepted, for reasons that were never totally clear to me, it being said, I believe, that Crested Goshawk was not eliminated.

I had some experience of the species at the time, from UK and France, and have subsequently had more in Northern China, and suffice it to say, it's always remained on my list.

I believe there was an "irruption" by this species that winter, and perhaps this bird may herald another such event.

One to watch out for certainly!

Mike Turnbull

One rider I would add to Jonathan's comment about Eurasian Sparrowhawk wing-shape, is that while the more rounded wing-shape thing is true of birds in Europe, I think the birds in East Asia are clearly longer and narrower winged, giving an almost harrier like jizz (even particularly like Pallid or Montagu's).

Just an impression they've always given me.

Other features of jizz/outline referred to for both species I fully agree with.

Mike Turnbull

Thread