Thread
Print

Recent RC decisions

Contrary to Ho-fais comments, I was able to easily find a list update dating from 2011, which includes species first recorded towards the end of 2010 (Taiga Bean Goose, Eurasian Roller). Check this link:
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... &extra=page%3D1

Perhaps the issue is not with the RC as accused, but with a lack of communication which has resulted in the updated list not being uploaded onto the HKBWS website 'Download' section.

Regarding Japanese Tit, I notice that IOC now includes the taxon commixtus within Japanese Tit, rather than Cinereous Tit. Is this the taxon occurring in Hong Kong and, if so, does that mean that all 'Great Tits' occurring in HK should be considered as Japanese Tit?
If so, the Wetland Park bird (and Shek Kong bird?) would not be a new species for HK, but may represent a different taxon.

Thanks Geoff, I had forgotten that, but remember reading it now. Are there other differences between these species, or is the split purely on the basis of mantle colour? It's interesting that commixtus apparently interbreeds with minor (e.g. the Shek Kong bird) - to me, it weakens the case for splitting these species (but I guess that depends on your species definition). Do we know how frequently interbreeding happens and whether the hybrids are fertile?

Out of interest, are there other cases where the RC stance differs from IOC in terms of taxonomy?

Quote:
Original posted by ajohn at 6/10/2013 16:49
Out of interest, are there other cases where the RC stance differs from IOC in terms of taxonomy?
I've thought of another one - RC treats Mongolian Gull (mongolicus) as a subspecies of Caspian Gull (Larus cachinnans) but IOC treats it as a subspecies of Vega Gull (Larus vegae).

Quote:
Original posted by tsheunglai at 12/12/2015 19:42
Geoff

Thanks for your help.

One more question: So for example, for W-t shearwater isn't its Latin name being Puffinusto Ardenna pacificus?

S L Tai
I think you may have misinterpreted the original message. The two shearwater species were Puffinus pacificus and Puffinus tenuirostris. The genus has been changed from Puffinus to Ardenna (i.e. it is no longer Puffinus but is now Ardenna). The species are now Ardenna pacificus and Ardenna tenuirostris.

Thread