Thread
Print

香港大學協助保護燕巢 HKU help to save swift nest

Worth to note that people occasionally found injured or fallen little swifts on the floor at the staircase under library complex.

The Little swift in the picture was found at night (around 8 pm) on 6th August, 2011, it was lying at the junction of library staircase and Kadoorie Biological Sciences Building, where many people walk by. After screening, the swift did not have obvious injury and it barely flap its wings. To prevent further injury it was gently moved to a paper box and sent to Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden for veterinary check on the second day. The swift received appropriate treatment and waiting for release in the wild but unfortunately it died two weeks later. I believe there could be cases of swifts fallen on the ground which did not receive proper attention. Can HKBWS suggest any proper guidance for anyone who encountered swift on the floor?

We attempted to call AFCD but it was a Friday night outside office hour and no staff will handle the bird on Saturday, that's why we decided to send the bird directly to KFBG, because we concerned about the bird's condition more than coping with official procedures. I am particularly concern with the bird's safety during non-office hour. Otherwise it's hopeless to see the bird dying on its own while we citizens have to aware of avian flu etc.

Your suggestion to train volunteer is also good, hopefully AFCD and Health Department will consider it.

Thank you Sze,

Though this is kind of sad to know the swifts fallen onto the ground are prone to death, I appreciate your extra suggestions of the hotlines and possible signs to be put up on the area concerned, as many students or staff have no idea how to deal with the birds on the ground.

Teresa

Yes may be I can ask the Estate Office of HKU  and corresponding units about the notice.

Teresa

It's a bit complicated in HKU system when I am looking up any related unit apart from Estate Office, unlike CUHK that Safety office will take care of wildlife as well. I need to check and send email to ask which division is responsible, and PM Sze and HKBWS as soon as possible.

Estate Office replied that no one should get close contact to any live bird. If any one spotted the bird on ground, it is recommended to contact Security Office which will later on reach AFCD for follow-up. It is not suggested to put on the sign as well in the area concerned.
I guess the current solution is alright since Security Office is 24-hour. I hope their staff have adequate training on bird handling.

Teresa

Thread