Thread
Print

[China] Shenzen airport mist nets?

Shenzen airport mist nets?

I flew into Shenzen airport yesterday and was alarmed to see what looked like mist nets along the length of the runways.  Obviously, they were difficult to see but there were evenly spaced posts and between dark bundles suspended of various sizes- typical of mist nets I have seen in fields in HK.  I know bird strikes are a serious issue for aircraft but this seems "overkill".  I cannot say with certainty that there were mist nets so would be grateful if others could look out and check if leaving/arriving.  However, the toll of birds must be huge if there are nets over hundreds of metres long.  Could HKBWS lobby for their removal if their presence is confirmed?

Dylan

PS I should add that I was at several other airports over the past ten days in Xinjiang and Hunan and did not see nets like this.

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 11/04/2012 13:00 ]

I thought so- dreadful.  There were at least a hundred bundles (of birds and probably bats) that I saw dead in the nets- I could see where a flock of small birds had become entangled together- one silhouette looked like a small falcon.  Presumably to be "effective" they are cleared regularly so must account for a great number of birds each year.  

I agree that there must be more effective measures, I've never seen them at any other airport.

Dylan

Thanks, Morten.

I came in in the late afternoon so perhaps the nets hadn't been cleared yet- I assumed the birds were dead as is usually the case in fields here.  It is nice to imagine the birds are removed, given a pat on the head and set free.  I doubt it too.

I don't know where to begin to get something done.  I don't hold much hope but it would be worth a try.

Dylan

Thread