Thread
Print

Nikon 8x42 Monarch binos

Judging from the symptoms, the problem is mechanical and not optical.  The monarch has several pieces of plastic covering the focusing mechanism (the black one with Nikon logo printed on it and one at the bottom).  Try to take out the plastic pieces with a small screw driver carefully.  You should see a central screw connecting to two pins (the two pins are attached to the focusing lenses inside of tubes).  I guess either the left pin is broken or just slipped out from the central screw.  You should be able to fix it when you see the mechanism.  Don't worry, you won't break the binos by simply taking out the covering plastic pieces.  Hope these help.

[ Last edited by akltsang at 21/09/2012 23:17 ]

Sorry, I cannot agree with your comments about Nikon binoculars.  Nikon is an expert in binoculars.  In fact, Nikon's top models (e.g. Superior E, E II, EDG etc.) are rated extremely high worldwide.  According to Allbinos.com, Nikon EDG is even rated higher than Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss.  I have been playing with many binos and I also agree that Nikon's binos are comparable to the top three European brands.  I myself own four sets of Nikon and they are extremely good.

If you want something that are reliable mechanically, ok optically and at a fair price, I recommend the Celestron Regal (8x42 or 10x42).  They are available from eBay.

About your monarch, can you post a picture about the broken pin?  I can see if there is any way to repair.

Olympus EXWP I is also a good choice.  Try in some bino shops first.

I'm sorry that I cannot think of other ways to repair the binos except paying Nikon.  You need the original parts.  Besides, you may need to realign the two tubes after repairing if the tube has to be opened.  This is a very difficult job without the proper tools (especially for roof prism binos).  This may be a good chance for you to study the construction of the binos by disassembling it.

This problem is very rare.  Have you put the monarch in water or some very humid places? Normally the exposed metal parts are covered by grease to avoid rusting.  If the pin is rusted, perhaps the grease is wiped or washed away for some reasons (of perhaps Nikon staff forgot to put grease there by accident).  Really bad luck.

Hope you enjoy your new EXWP1.

Thread