Thread
Print

Varied Tit

Following on from the above post by Jonathan, the message below was posted on the OB website today:

Dear [OB]ers,
I found a Varied Tit in Badaxia park, Qingdao, Shandong, China, this morning. The species is at most an irregular visitor to Shandong...
Interestingly, N Moores suggested to me about 10 days ago that it might be worth looking out for the species as some had been turning up outside its normal range in S Korea.
Apparently, there have been records also near Shanghai & in Hong Kong (T Townshend pers com), suggesting a rare influx is in progress. I hope everyone who has the opportunity will feel encouraged to get into the field and LOOK - anywhere from N Shandong to Hong Kong!

Several years ago a single bird turned up at Happy Island, Hebei, around 17th/18th Oct as part of a large-scale irruption of Coal, Eastern Great & white-headed Long-tailed Tits, and Common Treecreeper... Unfortunately we were unable to extend our stay to record the progress of the irruption, but - as a minimum - it will be worth keeping in mind that other spp may also be one the move.

Good birding!

Jesper Hornskov
Beijing

Thread