Thread
Print

Varied Tit

well the question is could have a super thyphoon hit one of this island and created some movment on this species population there. That's the reason why I've said it could be interesting to check if the subspecies could be determinate, as if it proove to be one of the northern population it will reduce the possibility of the typhoon have got any influence on this movment.
I've been to Donghai port before, it is a fantastic place for passerine migration and an easy access site. Well it is true that it is one of the major harbour near Shanghai but on the other hand nobody know what's up in the other coastal island where nobody never go.

All the best,

Jonathan

I haven't got the feeling that anybody was pro or con, but just people trying to find out the best theory about how this bird has reached Po Toi. I agree that Geoff pointed out some very interesting arguments.

All the best,

Jonathan

Hi All,

Some interesting news from North China and South Korea that I received from Jesper Hornskov today, I copy his email below with his permission :

"Dear friends,
About 10 days ago Nial Moores ventured that being on the look-out for Varied Tit could make sense (as odd ones were turning up out of range in S Korea)...
Now I really found one: my wife & I are visiting Qingdao, and there was one in the newly fixed-up Badaxia park this morning.
When I get back to Beijing I'll look up how rare it is here.
Yesterday morning a bit of visible migr incl 49 Richard's Pipits; today a Woodcock, 10 Red-thr Pipits etc.
Best wishes,
J"

Start to smell good for Cat I :-)

All the best,

Jonathan

I've just received some more information from Nial Moore about some interesting behaviour notice in South Korea these past weeks, again, I copy his email below with his permission :

"It appears that the movement of Varied Tit probably started in the ROK in the last week/ten days of August.  Personally, on August 26th and again on 29th, saw several small groups of Varied Tit  spiralling up and dropping back down again into cover on Heuksan Island, a Yellow Sea offshore island about 40km west of other large islands, and some 500km east of Shanghai. This is an island with a breeding population of the species - but this type of behaviour was notably unusual.  Back on the mainland on August 31st in Mokpo City (where Varied Tit is also common), >50 were watched moving west in only 15 minutes, with some birds probably >200m up and climbing (as typical for tits during "proper movements").  A small westward movement of Varied Tit (several groups of 4-5 birds) was also seen 150km further north the same day and on Sep 1st. Of major interest, Chris Cook reported to the Kantori Listserver on Sep 1st that in the Japanese Alps (on Honshu) the previous day "in a matter of a few hours, there were probably 100 birds or more in small groups -- 5, 10 or even 20 -- passing west".

Through until at least  September 25th, 10s of Varied Tit also seemed to be showing irruptive behaviour in the SE of the ROK (Busan and Gimhae) - joined by an increasing number of Coal Tit - with small groups of birds flying out south to sea most days, and then moving off southwest. Even as I write this now, I can hear Varied Tit calling from trees in front of our office here in Busan.

Although the species can be quite numerous some years and we do get Varied Tit turning up most years on Korean Yellow Sea offshore islands (including on islands where they do not usually breed, confirming some movement),  the number of birds involved and these locations suggests that this year has already been quite exceptional for the species.

With westward movement in at least one place in Japan and at several locations in the ROK during the past month, it is fascinating (and perhaps predictable?) that the species is now being found to the west (and southwest)  of its usual range...Congratulations to the finders!

Best wishes and birding,

Nial"

well I can forward all the discussion on OB forum, but it seems that more birds are found slowly. A very interesting discussion on birdforum as well, where it seems that quantity of birds have increased slowly at Xiao Yang dao, to reach 8 birds on 22nd of september, there was only 4 on 16th and only 1 on 15th. It looks more an arriving of birds rather than release of captive birds.

All the best,

Jonathan

Thread