Thread
Print

[Plovers] Swinhoe's Plover

Plover at Shui Hau

I went to Shui Hau, s Lantau, on Monday, partly hoping to see Kentish type plovers after hearing of bird at Pui O.
Saw three, and shot some video. While watching/filming, I oscillated between thinking Yes, looks like a Swinhoe's [especially one that looked very pale faced front on, with legs pale - looking yellowish or pinkish or grey!], and No, these are all just Kentish.

I haven't yet edited the video clips together, but here's an image from one of the short videos, maybe of interest.
Looking closely on screen, legs mostly grey-green, but in places - where catching more light? - pinkish grey. Yet crown lacking rufous, which perhaps means Kentish.
I hope to edit clips together, and post this too; even if all Kentish, might be of some value. Plus, sent couple of Pui O "Kentish" plover shots and video clip to Jonathan.

Also, here's video with one or two of the plovers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1NtgfVaItU

[ Last edited by wmartin at 21/11/2012 20:29 ]

Attachment

shui-hau-plover2012Nov19_web.jpg (65.14 KB)

21/11/2012 12:08

shui-hau-plover2012Nov19_web.jpg

Hong Kong Outdoors enjoying and protecting wild Hong Kong. DocMartin includes H5N1 and wild birds info

Thread