Thread
Print

Martens's Warbler Seicercus omeiensis

Martens's Warbler Seicercus omeiensis

There is a Martens's Warbler Seicercus omeiensis at Pak Sha O, which is an enclave within Sai Kung West Country Park. Access to the village is via a footpath from Hoi Ha Road, about 1.5km before Hoi Ha Village. The bird is on winter territory in the area along the footpath between lamp post numbers VA5393 and VA5394, on the left as you go down to the village. If accepted, this would be the first for HK.

The call is diagnostic among Seicercus, and a recording is below.

S. omeiensis PSO.mp3 (158.39 KB)

The photo below is useful in that it confirms the orbital ring is complete around the eye.

There is no private car access to Hoi Ha Road without a permit. Minibus no. 7 runs from Sai Kung Pier to Hoi Ha, at around half-hourly intervals from approx. 8am to 6pm. It is rather more frequent at the weekend, but the schedule is rather erratic.

GeoffC

{Apologies for the duplicate image, but I tried to replace the over-sized original with a lower resolution version, and ended up with 2 large images!]

[ Last edited by cgeoff at 14/01/2013 12:54 ]

Attachment

Seicercus omeiensis PSO 1.jpg (131.05 KB)

14/01/2013 12:43

Seicercus omeiensis PSO 1.jpg

Too few records to say, Brendan. Valentini breeds quite close to HK in northern Guangdong, while omeiensis has been recorded on Hainan.

In terms of plumage, the two are very similar. Valentini tends to have a slightly more distinct wing bar, I think. Call remains the easiest way to separate this group outside the breeding season.

Geoff

I should perhaps say that this bird has been very elusive, and may require some time to see. It has showed throughout the day though.

GeoffC

On the image below, I've marked the entrance to the path down to Pak Sha O. This is just past PSO Youth Hostel. The path runs alongside the youth hostel, and a short distance beyond, between the lamp posts mentioned above, is area in which I've seen the bird.

GeoffC

I saw the bird again today (Friday 25th) at around 5pm, lower down, near the toilet. Gave good, but brief view.

GeoffC

If you are concerned about Pak Sha O and want to urge the government to protect the biodiversity and cultural heritage of the area, you can provide your views to government, as this is the consultation period for the draft Development Permission Area plan that was issued in response to indications that applications for development in this enclave within the Country Park might be made in the near future. Send an email to The Secretary, Town Planning Board at tpbpd@pland.gov.hk with the title: Draft Pak Sha O Development Permission Area Plan DPA/NE-PSO/1. Remember to provide your HKID or passport number. The closing date for submissions is 7th February (this coming Thursday). The more submissions, the more likely the TPB will heed calls for restricting development possibilities.

GeoffC

For those interested, I saw this bird again today, after a gap of 3 weeks. Same place. Calling vigorously around mid morning.

GeoffC

Thread