Thread
Print

Kenko DGX x1.4 extender

Kenko DGX x1.4 extender

Hi there

I have recently upgraded to 1Dx and therefore passed on my old 1D4 to my wife who has been using 7D w/400mm 5.6.

Without he 1.6 crop factor of the 7D she has been used to, she is finding the 1.3 crop factor of 1D4 leaving her a little short of focal length.  I managed to find an DGX x1.4 from the Macro days of shooting butterflies and find that it produce very poor picture quality .. and is about 3 stops darker.

BUT >> when used with my 1Dx and 800mm 5.6, not only is the picture quality is pretty decent (having only tested indoors and in dark conditions without putting the images onto a big computer screen to compare) .. BUT all AF points are working .. (when used with a Canon x1.4 III) only the centre cross 4 point is available ..

The question is .. has anyone tried the Kenko extender with 400mm 5.6 and a 1D4?  And if so, how have you found the performance?

Also, I have heard people use tape to cover up the 3 contact points on an original Canon extender to trick the camera in giving all AF points .. has anyone tried this method?

thanks in advance ..
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

Thread