Thread
Print

Decline in no. of birdwatchers in Mai Po

Quote:
Original posted by HFCheung at 7/05/2013 23:02
Last Saturday, the tide was very good in Mai Po boardwalk.  There are very good number and variety of birds just in front of the middle hide.  I was surprised to find that there were only 2 other bird ...
On Monday 6th May I got out there early to the old hide to watch the birds come in ( I have to get a taxi from Wanchai to get there by 6.30 am )and there was only one other photographer there and the tide got to 2.3 meters (forecast 2.1 meters).
I headed to the new hide on the falling tide around 9.30 am and stayed until 1.00 pm.  I was the only one there.
As I left the carpark I did notice that there were photographers on the outside ponds photographing the terns. Maybe that's more interesting.
There are overseas visitors on most days when I'm there but only 1 or 2, and often they arrive too late.
I think at this time of the year the high tides are too early in the morning for most people to get there in time.
Visitors also have to pick up their permits at the office after 8.30 am which means they are too late unless the high tide is after 11.00 am.

Thread