Thread
Print

Po Toi December

Po Toi December

Tuesday 1 December

Some more photos of the flycatcher taken on 1 December by J Ng, James Yau and Kenneth Wong, thanks to them for permission to use.

These show the variation in colour of this bird, depending on the light, and also the slight damage to the tail feathers only visible from underneath.
I think it matches very well photos of female Vivid Niltava as they appear on OBI.

Also present, a Martens's Warbler, photos here by James Yau

The call confirmed as Martens's by Lo Chun Fai.

For other birds this Tuesday, see here

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redi ... o=lastpost#lastpost

Another good record KK - you and the other photographers are having a great late autumn on Po Toi.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 4/12/2015 07:03 ]

It was reliably reported there were two Dollarbirds on Po Toi on Sunday 6 December.
Like the Flycatcher above, these are exceptionally late.

If anyone saw the Dollarbirds or has photographs, please post here or send me.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 11/12/2015 15:08 ]

Another female Narcissus-type Flycatcher on Po Toi on Thursday - looks different to the Tuesday bird, more green and yellow wash underneath so possible Green-backed.

Hope to publish some photos later.

Here are some photos of this bird, thanks to Kenneth Wong, the photographer

I'll let the experts argue over the ID.

The bird is near the Sister's Cafe, if anyone is going over the weekend.

The Fujian Niltava (I have seen photos by Lee Yat Ming) is a first record for Po Toi.

The Po Toi list now stands at 332.

Thursday 17 December

The male Small Niltava still there, near the concrete steps leading to the Sister's Cave.
Not seen until ten minutes before the ferry left (typical Po Toi) but when it did appear there was no avoiding it - making a loud chattering noise all the time.
Photos by Kenneth Wong

Quite a few birds around, mostly skulkers, including this Raddes' Warbler and a surprising Black-browed Reed Warbler - don't see these very often on Po Toi, never before in December

Also this good-looking male Blue Rock Thrush near the ferry pier

Thread