Thread
Print

[Others 其他] Changes in HK Weather since 1885

Changes in HK Weather since 1885

HKO have recently added historical weather data going back to the year 1885 to their website.
I thought I would try to see if any weather changes are evident from the data - and was surprised to find how much it has changed.

This graph shows the average annual temperature in deg C at HKO in Kowloon from 1885 to 2015

The trend line (called Linear in the above graph) shows that average temperatures have increased at a fairly constant rate over this time, with a total change of about 1.5 degrees over the 130 years.
I discussed this with CY Lam and he suggested this increase was about 50% due to urbanisation (growth of the city of Hong Kong) and about 50% global warming.

But the change is not the same for each month in the year. Although every month shows an increase, a higher increase occurs between February and July, with a peak in March - see here, the average for March and October over the same period

Rainfall has also increased, by about 15%, although the change is not as consistent as with temperature. The increase has occurred mostly in the summer months June to August.

I've commented elsewhere that I think our spring migration period for birds in HK is getting shorter.
It's a reasonable assumption that global warming is contributing to this.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 17/01/2016 09:50 ]

Hi Captain

I guess the numbers for other weather stations are at the main HKO office in Kowloon - I can't find them on the website.

But if you are interested, here is the webpage for HKO's own projections of how Hong Kong's climate will change over this century - and it makes pretty frightening reading if you expect your children and grandchildren to be around

http://www.hko.gov.hk/climate_change/future_climate_e.htm

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 18/01/2016 18:45 ]

Thread