Thread
Print

[Tropicbirds] Red-throated Loon - feather damage

Also will like to note here that there was report of a group of people continuously chasing the bird around the bay this morning with a boat, which seems to have stressed it and forcing it to take flight several times in order to get away. Personally I don't see the need to use a boat for such occasion, the bird itself is close enough to shore for photographs and chasing it not only stress the bird out, it may shorten the time which it can feed around the bay to gain strength to move on. Diver straying this close to shore usually indicates that it's not feeling very well, and chasing it may further weakens the bird. I was glad to find that the few birders that remained or visited on Lamma in the afternoon were all well behaved and the bird happily came to the shallows to rest and feed.

You don't need a boat to take shots like this:
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

Quote:
Original posted by wilsondring at 21/03/2016 07:26

there were in fact two boats in the harbour with photographers on the morning of 19th and I was in one of them, among the two were also hundreds boats in the harbour.

had you not been on the beach  ...
Hi Wilson, thanks for clarifying, I wasn't actually referring to your boat but the boat on the morning of 20th, so no need to put yourself into the seat there. I was referring to people chasing it too much that it actually had to take flight to flee from the boat, and that didn't happen on the 19th, I was well aware because I was there indeed. Was posting merely to remind people not to over chase the bird, and perhaps you are right too, we shouldn't have been on the beach and maybe the bird would have came to shore, who knows. But talking with the locals as well the bird seems to prefer to land on the smaller and less disturbed beach towards the power station, and only landed on the main beach once as far as I know? (Anyone with more information is welcome to comment and shine lights to my ignorance).
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

Thread