Thread
Print

[Others 其他] Potential Migrants Monthly List

I can see it fine.
My comments on the list you have would be:
- Some of the summer visitors are missing. Notably cuckoos, which are harder to find in July but most are still possible (Chestnut-winged, Large Hawk, Hodgson's Hawk and Indian). Striated Heron and Malayan Night Heron could be included.
- Some of the waterbirds you have are fairly unlikely in July. I think there are very few recent July records of Swinhoe's Egret, Black Bittern or Greater Crested Tern. Black Baza, Eurasian Hoopoe and Black-naped Oriole are also now very unusual in July.
- For me the biggest gap here is waders. By the end of July there is usually very strong passage of Common Redshank and Greater Sand Plover, and you can expect to start seeing returning Eurasian Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Terek Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Lesser Sand Plover, Little Ringed Plover, etc. There are probably more that I've forgotten. In most years there are usually a few oversummering individuals of other species as well, especially Grey Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit (similar to the situation with Black-faced Spoonbill). It's probably worth including Black-winged Stilt as well.

Hope that helps!

I think Swinhoe's Egret and Watercock are fairly unlikely in August. Amur Falcon has not been recorded in this month, and Black-headed Munia was an introduced species not a migrant (and is no longer regularly present in HK).

There are a number of shorebird species that will be migrating through August - Green and Wood Sandpipers, Terek Sandpiper, Grey-tailed Tattler, Red-necked Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, etc. There are also a few passerines that should start turning up by the end of the month - there could be the first records of Amur Paradise-flycatcher, Arctic Warbler, Eastern Crowned Warbler, Brown Shrike, Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Forest Wagtail, Stejneger's Stonechat, etc.

You may be interested to look at the seasonal charts of records on eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?r ... .y=8&continue=t
There is now sufficient data in the eBird system that these are starting to look reasonably representative of the seasonality in HK for many species (although some species are still a bit misleading and need more data)

Thread