Thread
Print

Kowloon East Autumn2016

Do you have any more photos of the first plover in the recent post?
For me this doesn't look like a Grey Plover. I think it's probably a Pacific Golden Plover, but certain aspects from this photo (head pattern, grey tones, apparently long wing) remind me of American Golden Plover and I would be interested to see photos from other angles.

[ Last edited by ajohn at 23/11/2016 12:36 ]

Hi Esther,
Thank you for posting more photos, and especially for being so fast in your response to my post.
Looking at the new photos I think that the bird is a Pacific Golden Plover. The wings do not look long enough for American Golden (3 primaries visible beyond tertials - American should have 4 or 5), the tertials are relatively long, the legs are quite long and the bill is quite long. These features all fit better for Pacific than American, and structurally the bird looks to me like Pacific Golden that we see in Hong Kong.

Certain aspects of the plumage also fit better for Pacific - the spot on the rear of the ear coverts, the white belly and the grey legs are apparently all good features for Pacific. The supercilium is fairly apparent, but within normal variation for Pacific. The plumage tones are greyer than usual on Pacific but occasional greyer birds do occur.

So overall I think this is a Pacific Golden Plover. Still, it's interesting to practice these ID features so thanks for posting. It's a good record for this urban location, I look forward to seeing more birds that you manage to find at this site.
John

Thread