Thread
Print

荔枝角公園隨想 - a story in Lai Chi Kok Park

[quote:ae210d1044="ssammy"]just last year some people used flash to photograph the Asian Barred Owlet in broad daylight at Kam Tin – and I’m afraid they won’t return to breed again.[/quote]

The Barred Owlets are certainly still in the same area at Kam Tin - I heard one calling fairly recently. It's obviously too early to say, though, whether they will nest in the same place.

I'm disappointed that the photographers are starting to feel that they would rather not post their photos on this forum. Many people enjoy seeing the high-quality photos that are taken in HK and do not necessarily look through the photography websites on a regular basis. It also worries me that many birds may be seen/photographed but non-photographers do not get the chance to see them, or perhaps do not find out about them at all! Are there records of rarities that are not getting reported to HKBWS?

As to the question of location, I think this is not always revealed on a website. As an example, I visit Kam Tin regularly and have seen Barred Owlet locally for several years. Even when the photos of breeding birds were posted on the website at 'Kam Tin', I did not know exactly where to look until I actually asked another birdwatcher. If you are worried about disturbance, it is often possible to reveal a general location, or even withold the location completely (but explain why you have done so).

Thread