Night Heron and Chinese Pond Heron 夜鷺

CUHK
Aug 08, 2008 pm
The Swarovski 80ATS, the 30x-eyepiece and the Nikon C8400
ISO 50

1  A night heron

2  A Chinese Pond Heron

[ Last edited by BWA at 17/08/2008 22:10 ]

'The Chinese Pond Heron is infact a juv Night Heron. Like the pose on both of them, nice shots!!'

I have been thinking that the following is the juvenile because of the red eyes it has:

With your suggestion in mind, I did look up some books and a few websites and the findings are in line with what you suggested. So, then, what  are the features to differentiate the juvenile night heron in the previous thread from the Chinese pond heron? When, in general, do the yellow eyes change to the red ones and the juvenile plumage to the adult one as reckoned from the day of birth?

Thanks. The eye in #1 is yellow and not red. When do the eyes change to red? I have the feeling that the dorsal side of the wings of the Chinese pond heron are white only in the breeding season; the other times, pretty khaki. As for the ventral side, the wings of both species are white as far as my memory goes. Peter

[ Last edited by lwingkay at 9/08/2008 23:36 ]

The following night heron seems to be the same as the one that appears in the previous posting of this thread. Do have the feeling that it habitually spreads out its wings whenever it perches. And the second feeling is that it has wings way larger than its counterparts.

Photos taken in CUHK on Aug 17, 2008 pm
Gears: The Swarovski 80ATS with a 30x-eyepiece and a Nikon C8400.
ISO: 50

Thread