Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Time to chop down paper bark trees? 應否斫掉大埔滘的白千層?

I agree that it would be useful to thin out some of these paper bark trees. Although the area in TPK with these trees is sometimes used by birds, the overall numbers and diversity seems to be relatively low (mostly Velvet-fronted Nuthatch and Chestnut Bulbul). I suspect the same would be true for other species groups (insects, plants, etc.) This is probably largely because the understorey vegetation and ground cover is poor compared to other parts of the forest. I do not think large-scale felling is the solution, but agree with the suggestions that a ew trees should be targetted for felling or bark-ringing. This should open gaps in the canopy allowing other species to colonise, as well as creating dead wood; much like the conditions in natural forest.

Presumably these trees were planted for a purpose - as a fire-break or to increase tree cover? Now that the forest has regenerated in the area I think they have served this purpose and should be replaced by native species. This will take a very long time if we wait for natural death of the trees.

The other area at TPK that seems to require similar action is the area at the end of the red/blue walks, near the forest road; this area rarely contains birds and similarly has impoverished undergrowth vegetation. I think the trees may be the Tristania mentioned in Mike's earlier post. The same is true for plantations in other parts of Hong Kong (Shing Mun, Kap Lung, etc.)

I understand Peter's point that government needs to consider various options before taking any action, especially in the Country Parks or Special Areas.  Presumably they would need particular authorisation to undertake any management of this type.  Most of the public would not accept AFCD simply going into the forest to cut down trees, but would not necessarily object to small-scale removal of non-native species for an overall benefit to biodiversity (which is what is being suggested here). Public consultation and explanation would be necessary. AFCD should, however, be taking responsibility for management of the Country Parks to benefit biodiversity - if this is best done by removing non-native trees, then that is an option they should be seriously considering.

Thread