Thread
Print

Photographer in Mai Po 攝鳥者在米埔亂闖

I agree that some of this is common sense - do not enter where there is notice or where you are likely to disturb the birds. But of course, there are some aspects of behaviour which may be less clear-cut, especially regarding hide etiquette - as fkm mentions, it is not necessarily clear when people are expected to close doors/windows, and some people may not think about the importance of being quiet or keeping inside the hide (including lenses and telescopes!)

I think that some details about how to use the reserve are in the booklet given to visitors by WWF. New visitors should, of course, go into the WWF visitor centre at the MP car park when they arrive to ask advice if they are unsure. There are also details on recent sightings on the notice board in the car park and posted on this forum - the gei wai are numbered to help visitors know where to look for birds. This should help those unfamiliar with the reserve to find the birds they are interested in seeing.

Having said that, it is probably a good idea to have organised visits to the reserve so that members who are unfamiliar with the reserve know where to look for birds and get some sort of basis in identifying common species. It may be worth talking to WWF about this - they carry out organised visits which are an important source of income for the reserve, and HKBWS should not organise visits which would interfere with this source of income.

I strongly disagree with the idea that new member should not be allowed to get a permit until they are somehow 'qualified' to go onto the reserve. I joined HKBWS as an experienced birder with experience overseas at reserves similar to Mai Po - being told I was not allowed onto the reserve would have been insulting and may have discouraged me from joining HKBWS. Education about how to avoid disturbance and offering help to new members whenever possible is the best way forward. Do HKBWS send out advice on this when new members first apply for the permit?

Of course, it all comes naturally with experience. I get frustrated seeing visitors who are disturbing birds in some way. I apologise if this sometimes shows as rudeness to new members. On the other hand, I do try to point out unusual birds if there is someone else who is clearly interested but inexperienced. And of course, anyone new to birding can always ask for advice from someone experienced - I think most people are more than willing to help others to learn.

Thread