Thread
Print

Tai Po Kau 大埔滘 2006 Autumn 秋

This morning around 10am, near the top of the Nature Trail steps, ie just before it becomes a relatively level trail heading roughly west, I got good views over a minute or so of  a Seicercus "Spectacled Warbler" , which I believe (based mainly on information in Robson's Birds of SE Asia) was Plain-tailed Warbler Seicercus soror, for which I believe there is one pending claim, backed with a photo.

I've seen quite a lot of these types over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing one that was so plain-faced as this one - from certain angles it didn't seem to have any crown stripes at all and appeared to be very greenish across the forecrown. In fact from other angles it could be seen to have two very indistinct darkish grey lateral crown stripes, very short and on the rear crown only, with a greyish area between them.

It had a complete, perfectly circular, not especially broad yellow eye-ring, and was a rather dull greenish colour on the upperparts, and similarly dull greenish yellow below. It really was a rather drab sort of bird, and when I first picked up for a second or so I thought it was some kind of babbler.

It had no wingbars, but did seem to have a single median covert (I think) on the right wing which had a small yellow tip - didn't see the same on the left.

It seemed to have a slightly longer bill than usual for one of these types, orange on the lower mandible, and orangish legs and feet (I think).

I saw no white on the tail, but it didn't open it.

Glad to hear what others think.

Mike Turnbull

Thread