Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Ten biggest birdwatching news in 2008 (HK)

Ten biggest birdwatching news in 2008 (HK)

After the past 2008, we had many good sighting of rare birds and even first records. There were many memorable moment and I herewith list ten biggest in my view. Not all record are verified and I did not witness all, but at least took place in my 2008 memory.

1. Discovery of Yellow-billed Loon.
2. Discovery of Slaty-backed Flycatcher.
3. Re-appear of Dalmatian Pelican in Inner Deep Bay
4. Discovery of White-tailed Topic bird
5. Two species of pittas appear in Po Toi, at same period of time.
6. Discovery of Masked Booby.
7. Discovery of Himalayan Cuckoo
8. Two Relict Gulls and a Slender-billed Gull appear in Mai Po in same time.
9. Discovery of Red-backed Shrike.
10. A pair of Bay Woodpecker residing in Tai Po Kau.

Happy New Year to all and wish you a lucky 2009!!

Gary

[ Last edited by gary at 31/12/2008 23:15 ]

Quote:
Original posted by gary at 31/12/2008 23:11
After the past 2008, we had many good sighting of rare birds and even first records. There were many memorable moment and I herewith list ten biggest in my view. Not all record are verified and I did  ...
Happy New Year !

I got 3, 8, 10.
Happy new year and happy birding
http://www.fotop.net/sakura100
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/devplhf

Another year passed. Not as many first record as 2008, but 2009 is still a very good year for birding.
Here is my choice in 2009 although I have not seen all.

1. A Brown Crake in Nam Chung Jan.
2. A tamed Steppe Eagle April. Actually it was firstly recorded in 2008 but not popularized until 2009.
3. Band-bellied Crake April. A century tick although not a first record.  
4. Reappear of Oystercatcher in Mai Po April. Just a few minutes, but at good place and good time for wonderful photos.
5. Blue-winged Pitta in Po Toi and Shenzhen May. The one in Shenzhen is much friendly than those in Po Toi. A Pitta in Shenzhen but a big new in HK side.
6. Great Thick-knee in MPNR June. A superb star in low season.
7. First Record of Dark-throated Thrush in Pui O and subsequently Po Toi Nov. Only handful of birdwatchers have witnessed this one.
8. Influx of Yellow-throated Bunting in Nov.
9. Cotton Pygmy Goose in a long-forgotten Shan Pui Wetland.
10. Again, never too much, come back of Dalmatian Pelican.

Wish you lucky birding in 2010!

Gary

I think the Bay Woodpecker and Brown Wood Owl also made some very welcome news.  The Brown Fish Owl in Sai Kung is also very delightful.

On the down side, 2009 autumn is very poor for Aleutian Tern.  The other down side is that we don't seem to have any Stork or Goose despite very cold in the northern China.

HF Cheung

If my memory is correct, a bean goose was seen on 1Jan09.  But may be it's the only goose record in 2009?!
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Thread