Thread
Print

Digiscoping with the Panasonic Lumix

Neil,

Vibration is always the problem affecting the picture quality in digiscopic shots. The minute vibration induced by the shutter curtain in G1 has this adverse effect. I don't think it can replace a genuine dc (with quiet and nearly vibration free, in between lenses leaves-shutter). Unless the coming 4/3 system gives up the shutter curtain design, it will never be a good gear for digiscopic usage, especially if you expect top class quality. I have tried the G1 last month, getting it from my friend, and got the above conclusion.

Wing

[ Last edited by cwchan at 7/02/2009 18:18 ]

Hi Peter,

The zoom lens is an internal focus one, that is to say nothing will move externally. Such a lens design is very suitable for digiscoping use.

The thread of this kit lens is 52mm already. What you required is to turn your DCA to the filter ring thread of the lens. The G1 and the kit lens is not too heavy, I think it can stand for frequent use.

For angled scope, like yours, the weight of the G1 will press on the zoom ring and then change the zooming ratio to wide angle. You have a stick a plastic tape to fix the movement of the zoom ring in order to keep your intended zooming. A prime lens, such as 25mm, 35mm in the future may solve this problem.

Back to my old concern, the vibration, if the G1 gives up the focal plan shutter, it is certainly a very good dc for sigiscopic use.

Wing

Great demo, Neil.

Thread