Thread
Print

Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn 秋

17/10/2006 Tuesday

In addition to HK_Twitchers birds on Po Toi today, I saw what I believe to be a Grey Nightjar at the graves close to the Reservoir.

It was a definitely a nightjar, with off-white tips to the tail feather (not sure if they were continuous) and off-white flashes on the wings.  The bird was more brown than grey. Not sure if it was a juvenile perhaps as the white on the bird was fairly dull.

Which was nice!

Dave

A good trip out to the island today, visibility was good on the ferry journey too, you could see for miles!

A good selection of birds too including:

Blackbird 2
Japanese Thrush
Grey-backed Thrush 2 (including one that Geoff saw in a cat's jaws!)
Violet Whistling Thrush 2
Blue Rock Thrush 1
Oriental Turtle Dove 6
Mugimaki Flycatcher 4 (inc. 2 males)
Daurian Redstart 1
Yellow -browed Warbler several
Pallas's Leaf Warbler 1/2
Dusky Warbler 2
Common Buzzard 1
Accipiter sp - Besra, we think, but was at long range
Bunting sp. - 4 seen flying overhead/brief glimpses

Siberian Rubythroat (heard)
Red-flanked Bluetail (heard)

Chestnut Bulbul 50+ in a flock near to the Reservoir.  Then smaller parties of c. 5-8 birds near the pier.

Parties of bulbuls c. 20 (it appeared to be predominantly Chinese, occasionally mixed with Chesnuts) moving around. One large flock c. 200 was reminiscent of the way Starlings return to roost back in the UK, as they were swirling over the sea.

Also, there appeared to be more Crested Mynas and Japanese White-eyes moving around than normal.  Not unusual birds in HK I grant you, but the increased presence/activity was notable. Likewise more Black Kites were around than in previous visits and I saw my first Munias on the island too.

Whilst on the subject of everyday birds, just out of interest, has anyone seen Lesser Coucal on Po Toi?

A good trip out to the island today, visibility was good on the ferry journey too, you could see for miles!

A good selection of birds too including:

Blackbird 2
Japanese Thrush
Grey-backed Thrush 2 (including one that Geoff saw in a cat's jaws!)
Violet Whistling Thrush 2
Blue Rock Thrush 1
Oriental Turtle Dove 6
Mugimaki Flycatcher 4 (inc. 2 males)
Daurian Redstart 1
Yellow -browed Warbler several
Pallas's Leaf Warbler 1/2
Dusky Warbler 2
Common Buzzard 1
Accipiter sp - Besra, we think, but was at long range
Bunting sp. - 4 seen flying overhead/brief glimpses

Siberian Rubythroat (heard)
Red-flanked Bluetail (heard)

Chestnut Bulbul 50+ in a flock near to the Reservoir.  Then smaller parties of c. 5-8 birds near the pier.

Parties of bulbuls c. 20 (it appeared to be predominantly Chinese, occasionally mixed with Chesnuts) moving around. One large flock c. 200 was reminiscent of the way Starlings return to roost back in the UK, as they were swirling over the sea.

Also, there appeared to be more Crested Mynas and Japanese White-eyes moving around than normal.  Not unusual birds in HK I grant you, but the increased presence/activity was notable. Likewise more Black Kites were around than in previous visits and I saw my first Munias on the island too.

Whilst on the subject of everyday birds, just out of interest, has anyone seen Lesser Coucal on Po Toi?

Thread