66 12
Thread
Print

Digiscoping advice please

Neil,,

Have you any idea on the using of Canon G7 (10 mega ) for digiscoping? This camera is newer (2006) compared with Nikon 8400. Just like 8400, you can convert the dc by adapting an adapter (with m52 screw at the front) to connect the dca (m52 mount).

[quote:445c20b01c="cchakwing"]Neil,,

Have you any idea on the using of Canon G7 (10 mega ) for digiscoping? This camera is newer (2006) compared with Nikon 8400. Just like 8400, you can convert the dc by adapting an adapter (with m52 screw at the front) to connect the dca (m52 mount).[/quote]

The Canon G7 series lenses have never been suitable for digiscoping due to the way they retract when zooming.  The zoom is also a little long (3x zoom is all we want for digiscoping ). It's a shame. The Canon A95 was suitable. Neil

Digiscoping tips & introduction can be found at

http://www.birdersworld.com/brd/default.aspx?c=a&id=830

Bob

Neil,
Regarding the  SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter , have you completed the testing? Wing

[quote:27f08a0049="cchakwing"]Neil,
Regarding the  SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter , have you completed the testing? Wing[/quote]

Wing, I've used the adapter at Mai Po this week and it works well. I post some comments in the next few days. Neil.

SRB-Griturn digiatal camera adapter

Wing,
        Here is a photo with an eyepiece attached .  The camera is screwed onto the bar shown using the tridod screw thread of the camera so there is no stress on the lens. I got mine as a "freebie" from another digiscoping tester in the UK.  You can buy directly from the manufacturer as I've heard they are easy to deal with.Neil.

Attachment

SRB-Griturn adapter L1020406.jpg (0 Bytes)

12/01/2007 06:43

SRB-Griturn adapter L1020406.jpg

Wing,

There should be little stress on the eyepiece, as you can see there are 4 screws that tighten on the eyepiece, this should distribute the weight evenly.

The Swarovski DCA has only one screw and from practice this should be positioned on the top of the eyepiece otherwise the weight of the camera tends to loosen the setup

Bob

PS: Remember to order the correct collar (tube) for the eyepiece you are using.

Wing,

The Nikon UR-E14 tube is 38mm. I can't remember what camera you have but with Nikon 8400, I take all (nearly all) my shots at one zoom position. This position is just at the end of the macro (green flower) position. I have found that in this position the autofocus works extremely well.

Because the Nikon 8400 has a wide angle zoom it is not possible to zoom the full range without getting vignetting, on my Casio I can zoom the full range

Bob

[quote:d9cc1909cf="tbob"]Wing,

The Nikon UR-E14 tube is 38mm. I can't remember what camera you have but with Nikon 8400, I take all (nearly all) my shots at one zoom position. This position is just at the end of the macro (green flower) position. I have found that in this position the autofocus works extremely well.

Because the Nikon 8400 has a wide angle zoom it is not possible to zoom the full range without getting vignetting, on my Casio I can zoom the full range

Bob[/quote]

Bob,

Thanks. I just bought a new Nikon 8400.  I think I need to buy the original Nikon UR-E14 tube. The tube made by the third party is 40mm.
Where can i get the UR-E14 in Hong Kong Kong, any idea?

Wing

I bought the adaptor tube at Coxell. Hotline number 27290199. (approx HK$200). They have several stores, so I suggest you telephone and they will tell the nearest store stocking the part.

Bob

If unsure on setting up the Nikon 8400 post on the web and either Neil or I will try and help

Wing ,
         Every few millimetres helps with vignetting. I followed Bob's advice yesterday and wrapped some tennis racket grip around the 45x eyepiece ( I tested this on the 30x too ).  This centres the DCA collar.  I don't fit the collar so it is flush at the scope end but leave about 2/3 mm before screwing it down . I also don't mount the DCA (camera side ) flush with the collar but leave a gap of about 2 mm. This way I can squeeze about 4 extra mms of un-vignetted zoom. I also try to shoot at the end of the Green Macro zone as much as possible as the lens is at it's sharpest here (the Auto-focus seems to work at it's best here too ).  As this is not even half-way on the camera zoom I'm using the 45x eyepiece as my standard eyepiece for Mai Po because in the Green macro position it's only about 40 mm which gives a totol magnification of 40x or 2000 mm . Neil.
ps I have an adapter now for the Swarovski 77x telescope eyepiece which I hope to try out in good light tomorrow at Mai Po.

Neil,

Thanks for your advice.  Is the 77X eyepiece a new product from Swarovski?

Wing

Wing,
        No. The 77x is designed for the Astronomy telescope market and I bought it special order some years ago but haven't used it much as it doesn't have much eye relief .  Neil.

Quote:
Original posted by tbob at 27/12/2006 21:32
3 more photos of setup
Do you mind sending me the photos in this thread showing how the different components are put together? I was asked about this elsewhere and your photos are the best I can get from Internet. If it so happens that you have already erased the photos, just forget about my request; don't try, judging by your promptness and willingess to help in my previous on-line encounters with you, putting things up and taking photos again for me. Many thanks in advance.   Peter

PS  The images in here resist to be copied and pasted.

but the photos could be saved by right click the mouse.
Quote:
Original posted by lwingkay at 11/08/2008 18:05

Do you mind sending me the photos in this thread showing how the different components are put together? I was asked about this elsewhere and your photos are the best I can get from Internet. If it s ...

Thanks, Puppymic, for helping me out and sorry for bothering you, Bob, with the request in the previous thread due to carelessness with copying and pasting. Peter

66 12
Thread