Thread
Print

Digiscoping advice please

Mike , there are many cameras out there these days that will enable you to take reasonable photos through a scope. The ability to take an adapter is a limiting factor for most of them though.  If you have an angled scope it is a simple matter to insert a tube into your rubber eyepiece cap just long enough to keep the camera lens from touching the eyepiece and then you can hand hold and fire away .  The best camera for doing this is the Fuji F30 which has low noise up to iso 800 so you can get high shutter speeds to reduce vibration. Bob and I are using the Nikon CP8400 which is the best digiscoping camera ever in my opinion and can still be found in HK in Times Square at CKC but is expensive (near Broadway on 8/9 floor ).  It will take an adapter and fit on the Swarovski DCA adapter. Electronic Viewfinder , wide angle lens (24mm) and works great with the 30x eyepiece. The next best would be the Olympus 7070wz but old model now. The Nikon P series work ok, Sony W series, Olympus 350/330.
If you have any questions let me know, Neil.

It's a trial and error process as it depends on the camera and the eyepiece. Hand hold the camera and move it in and out at wide zoom until you find the spot where you get a sharp round circle aroud the image (vignetting). Then slowly zoom the camera lens until the vignetting goes away. This should be "ground zero" . Questimate the distance and cut a toilet roll center or something similar ( a roll of paper ) to the length and then check again. When you've got the exact distance you can cut a more substantial tube ( plumbers pipe, pill bottle ).  As an alternative have a look at this site
http://www.srb-griturn.com/ for a good universal adapter.

Neil.

I've just got back from the US and looked at this thread.  I get all my camera adapters from one of the retailers at the Computer Mall at 298 Henessey Road, Wanchai. I have third party adapters (eg Raynox ) on my Olympus 7070wz and my Nikon CP8400.  These guys have good pricing and always have stock. Neil.

[quote:22b0640a55="cchakwing"]Thanks Neil,

Is  the adapter well fit to the scope?[/quote]

Mandy,
          Yes, it's a good fit on the DCA. Neil

Digiscoping vs DSLR

I was able to photograph the same bird in the same place with the two competing technologies. First I used the Nikon D2x plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS lens and the next day I went back with my digsicoping rig. The D2x was from about 3 metres (in a camouflage tent ) on a tripod using a whimberly head. The scoped image was from about 7 metres behind a drapped piece of camouflaged material to obscure my hand and head movements. The light was shaded on both days. Interestingly I used both systems in a similar way . As the bird only stayed on the perch for a few seconds I set Manual Exposure and pre-focused on the branch. The 5 frame sequence of the CP8400 was enough to get the "keeper" image. I didn't have my remote for the D2x so I had to keep my hand on the camera. The noise of the D2x alerted other birds in the area and the male Magpie Robin and Chinese Bulbuls disappeared immediately. With the CP8400 on silent running the birds weren't disturbed.
See if you can pick which image is which. Neil.

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
07/01/07

Nikon D2x plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS lens
Nikon CP8400 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Attachment

red flanked bluetail.fem_DSC0246.jpg (0 Bytes)

8/01/2007 06:39

red flanked bluetail.fem_DSC0246.jpg

red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8263.jpg (0 Bytes)

8/01/2007 06:39

red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8263.jpg

[quote:fc5a873bc5="cchakwing"]Dear Neil,

Thank you. I have 2 further question

(a) How can I adopt my Fugi F31(the new  model of the F30) to the DCA as there is no screw or such thing at the camera?
(b) Is your SW 80HD scope a straight one or angled one ? In your experience, is there any difference between these two version  for digiscoping ?

Wing[/quote]

Wing,
        If you have an angled scope you can easily make a little tube support that fits in the rubber eyecup of your eyepiece and holds the camera the right distance away .  There are many designs mentioned on the internet.
I have a Scopetronix EZ-Pix 1 , universal adapter which I was using.  I am currently testing a SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter
http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.php?cPath=89&osCsid=68ce8236eb60e11f6e7ce2ef496b5138
and it looks good . It also allows you to use a cable release which the Scopetronix doesn't.  I tested it today with the Leica C-lux 1 and it worked well. I'll post a report in the next few days with photos.
      I have an Angled  and a Straight Swarovski ( I also have a straight Kowa ) and I much prefer the Straight.  I find it much faster to get onto the bird and it is much easier to use out the hide windows at Mai Po. Neil.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. Or you pays even more money and get both.[/quote]

Geoff,
         You're quite right there.  I've spent a lot more on my DSLR gear than my digiscoping gear. The 300/2.8 AFS/VR lens alone was worth two Swarovski scopes.
         One advantage of the digiscoping that I like a lot (I do a lot of my photography sitting in the bush semi-camouflaged ) is the zooming ability. I can zoom the CP8400 from about 750 -2250 mm with the 30x eyepiece and from 1125 - 3375 with my new 45x eyepiece. Using my Olympus 7070wz (28 - 112 mm lens ) increases these numbers by 50%. Very useful when one minute you're photographing a Common Tailorbird and next a Cattle Egret.
      I only take my DSLR out to Mai Po about once a month as I'm too old and weak to carry both systems. I'm trying to make an adapter for my 300/f4 lens so that I can digiscope with it. Then I will be close to getting the best of both worlds. Neil.

[quote="cmandy"]Neil

I mean I can't take photos like yours ops:

Very sharp, clear and big pcitures[/quote

Mandy,
          As Bob mentioned distance and quality of light (as well as time of day ) make a big difference to the photo.  I don't go looking for birds , I go looking for the best light, paticularly in Hong Kong where haze if a problem.
For small birds 7- 20 metres, for larger birds(egrets/herons ) 20 - 30 metres.  Anything more than this is a stretch.   
         I notice from you Exif data that the camera zoom was 20.10 mm which is a bit too much for poor/hazy light. I try to be around 10 mm on the CP8400. Hand holding is difficult too.  Also in the wooden hides at Mai Po there is aways vibration through the floor, especially when there are other people in the hide.
Try the ducks at the Education center at Mai Po after 2.00pm in the afernoon and wait for them to stop swimming around.
I hope this helps, Neil.

[quote:445c20b01c="cchakwing"]Neil,,

Have you any idea on the using of Canon G7 (10 mega ) for digiscoping? This camera is newer (2006) compared with Nikon 8400. Just like 8400, you can convert the dc by adapting an adapter (with m52 screw at the front) to connect the dca (m52 mount).[/quote]

The Canon G7 series lenses have never been suitable for digiscoping due to the way they retract when zooming.  The zoom is also a little long (3x zoom is all we want for digiscoping ). It's a shame. The Canon A95 was suitable. Neil

[quote:27f08a0049="cchakwing"]Neil,
Regarding the  SRB-Griturn Universal Adapter , have you completed the testing? Wing[/quote]

Wing, I've used the adapter at Mai Po this week and it works well. I post some comments in the next few days. Neil.

SRB-Griturn digiatal camera adapter

Wing,
        Here is a photo with an eyepiece attached .  The camera is screwed onto the bar shown using the tridod screw thread of the camera so there is no stress on the lens. I got mine as a "freebie" from another digiscoping tester in the UK.  You can buy directly from the manufacturer as I've heard they are easy to deal with.Neil.

Attachment

SRB-Griturn adapter L1020406.jpg (0 Bytes)

12/01/2007 06:43

SRB-Griturn adapter L1020406.jpg

Wing ,
         Every few millimetres helps with vignetting. I followed Bob's advice yesterday and wrapped some tennis racket grip around the 45x eyepiece ( I tested this on the 30x too ).  This centres the DCA collar.  I don't fit the collar so it is flush at the scope end but leave about 2/3 mm before screwing it down . I also don't mount the DCA (camera side ) flush with the collar but leave a gap of about 2 mm. This way I can squeeze about 4 extra mms of un-vignetted zoom. I also try to shoot at the end of the Green Macro zone as much as possible as the lens is at it's sharpest here (the Auto-focus seems to work at it's best here too ).  As this is not even half-way on the camera zoom I'm using the 45x eyepiece as my standard eyepiece for Mai Po because in the Green macro position it's only about 40 mm which gives a totol magnification of 40x or 2000 mm . Neil.
ps I have an adapter now for the Swarovski 77x telescope eyepiece which I hope to try out in good light tomorrow at Mai Po.

Wing,
        No. The 77x is designed for the Astronomy telescope market and I bought it special order some years ago but haven't used it much as it doesn't have much eye relief .  Neil.

Thread