Thread
Print

Digiscoping advice please

Mike,

I would like to suggest a Nikon 8400, I have been using this model for a little over 6 months with some degree of success, but unfortunately this camera has been discontinued for over a year and would be very difficult to find.

Neil, has a better knowledge on the latest camera models that work with the Swarovski scope.

One thing to bear in mind is that failure rate (out of focus shots etc ) is fairly high but the magnification is a lot higher than with a regular DSLR.

Bob Thompson

I would suggest that you watch the lens as you move the zoom control on the camera, when you have worked out the zoom position where the lens extends the most from the camera. Measure the distance from the camera body to the end of the zoom at this zoom position and add a mm or so.

The idea is that the tube is long enough so that you can fully zoom the lens without it hitting the scope eyepiece.

Depending on the camera model and zoom, you may get vignetting (black corners) at some zoom settings

Bob

PS: Neil posted a better explanation while I was still typing mine

Neil, Is away on holiday's until the 1st week of Jan, I am sure he will answer your query then

Bob

Mike,

You need a Nikon adaptor to fit onto the Swarvoski DCA (Digital Camera Adaptor), do you just have the regular 20-60x eyepiece ? I will post the part numbers when I return home from work.

Bob

Mike,

You need a Nikon UR-E14 Adaptor Ring ( it is a short tube).

1. You unscrew a ring, that is around the lens, on the camera body
2. Screw this tube onto the camera body.

I bought the adaptor tube at Coxell. Hotline number 27290199. (approx HK$200)

You will then need a Swarovski Digital Camera Adaptor (DCA), as this is not usually in stock at photostores I sugget contacting Eric Hau, Swarovski Sales Manager, direct line 2969 6165. (under HK$1500)

The DCA comes with 2 tubes and a number of adaptor rings. The M52 adaptor ring will screw into the Nikon tube and one of the DCA tubes.

The other tube screws on the zoom eyepiece, remove the rubber eyepiece and now both sections of the DCA should fit.

Nikon 8400 camera, I suggest that you upgrade the firmware, because the firmware that ships with the camera will not allow the infra red control to do instaneous shooting.

Go to this website to download the appropriate firmware

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=81-96b71aa5d3

If you require further information in setting up the camera, just post your questions

Bob Thompson

Mandy,

I have taken some photos but unfortunately international internet links to my file server are down and when I try and upload photo's directly to the HKBWS site, I get a pop-up window in Chinese and I don't understand what it means.

I can't think of anyother way of uploading the photos, so you will have to wait.

Bob

PS: I think I have worked out how to uplaod

Attachment

CIMG6741xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

27/12/2006 21:24

CIMG6741xw.jpg

CIMG6742xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG6742xw.jpg

CIMG6743xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG6743xw.jpg

3 more photos of setup

Attachment

CIMG6744xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

27/12/2006 21:32

CIMG6744xw.jpg

CIMG6745xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG6745xw.jpg

CIMG6746xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG6746xw.jpg

This photo shows one part of the DCA (digital camera adaptor) with the M52 ring attached

Attachment

CIMG6747xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

27/12/2006 21:35

CIMG6747xw.jpg

The Swarovski DCA comes with 4 adaptor rings 28mm,37mm,43mm & 52mm.

[highlight=red]PLEASE NOTE , even if your camera can fit onto the DCA it still may not be suitable for digiscoping[/highlight]. Depending on the camera's method of zooming, it could be totally unsuitable. With the Nikon 8400 camera and a zoom eyepiece you are only able to use the last 10% of the zoom. On the camera's wide angle you get vignetting (black circle around the picture)

Before you consider digiscoping I would recommend doing a google search of your camera name or scope name together with digiscoping, and then judge for yourself what other people worldwide are using.

The Swarovski DCB mounts onto the scope and you are able to swing the camera away from the eyepiece, this method is prefered by some people as it is easier to spot the bird (object) through the scope eyepiece and then swing the camera into position.

The Nikon 8400 camera is one of the few Point & Shoot camera's that has an electronic viewfinder, it is therefore able to operate similiar manner to an SLR and you can focus the scope through the camera's eyepiece. Whereas with most other camera's you will need to focus using the LCD panel.

Bob

Attached are 2 pdf files from Swarovski listing cameras which either the DCA or DCB will fit.

Remember you still may not be able to use the camera's full zoom

Bob

Attachment

swardca.pdf (0 Bytes)

28/12/2006 05:35, Downloaded count: 1848

swardcb.pdf (0 Bytes)

28/12/2006 05:35, Downloaded count: 2092

Actually I own a DCB and DCA but my preference is the DCA, as I work in video production I am very used to looking through a viewfinder and manually focussing and this is also how I operate my digiscope setup.

The DCB is baulky and takes a little while to adjust the lineup of the camera lens to the scope viewfinder. Generally once you have setup the DCB at the start of a day's birding you will leave the camera attached to the DCB.

It is purely a personal choice as to which adaptor you use and I think if you contacted Swarovski they could show you both setup.

Bob

There should be no diffence in picture quality between the 2 adaptors.

Call Eric Hau and check if you can bring along your camera and Yes you can purchase directly from them.

I would still suggest that you check on the internet to see if other digiscopers are using the setup you are considering to buy.

Bob

Gilman,

After your question about the Swarovski DCB adaptor, I thought I better try mine again, the attached shot is uncropped (100% full frame) and was taken at Nam Sang Wai at lunch time today (30th December 2006). The camera was a Casio EX-Z55 5.0megapixel. As you can see the quality is acceptable for a camera costing just over HK$ 2000.

The DCB was mounted on a Swarovski ATS 80HD scope and a 20-60x zoom eyepiece was used

Bob Thompson

Attachment

CIMG6923xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

30/12/2006 16:14

CIMG6923xw.jpg

CIMG6985xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG6985xw.jpg

CIMG7072xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

CIMG7072xw.jpg

Gilman,

If you have any problems in the future, regarding the DCB or digiscoping in genera, either post on the web or send me a personal message.

Cheers

Bob

Attachment

CIMG6946xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

30/12/2006 17:25

CIMG6946xw.jpg

Geoff,

Zeiss are about to market an eyepiece with camera attached called a DC4, I believe it has a limited production run, so we may never see them in HK.

Nikon also packages their scopes and cameras and adaptors.

With the "baby boomers" approaching retirement, digiscoping has had a surge of interest, as a low cost entry into bird photography.

Mandy,

A nice shot, I wasn't brave enough to show anybody my first day's digiscoping.

Waiting to see some more shots

Bob

Mandy,

Even when digiscoping you must be close to the bird, Neil mentioned above that he had camoflague material over him so that birds wouldn't see him.

Generally in Hong Kong, because of the high pollution levels, try and get between 20 - 30 metres from the subject.

The best place to practice is at Kowloon Park where this shot was taken

Bob

[left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/350853162_199af27c29_o.jpg[/left]

Digiscoping tips & introduction can be found at

http://www.birdersworld.com/brd/default.aspx?c=a&id=830

Bob

Wing,

There should be little stress on the eyepiece, as you can see there are 4 screws that tighten on the eyepiece, this should distribute the weight evenly.

The Swarovski DCA has only one screw and from practice this should be positioned on the top of the eyepiece otherwise the weight of the camera tends to loosen the setup

Bob

PS: Remember to order the correct collar (tube) for the eyepiece you are using.

Wing,

The Nikon UR-E14 tube is 38mm. I can't remember what camera you have but with Nikon 8400, I take all (nearly all) my shots at one zoom position. This position is just at the end of the macro (green flower) position. I have found that in this position the autofocus works extremely well.

Because the Nikon 8400 has a wide angle zoom it is not possible to zoom the full range without getting vignetting, on my Casio I can zoom the full range

Bob

I bought the adaptor tube at Coxell. Hotline number 27290199. (approx HK$200). They have several stores, so I suggest you telephone and they will tell the nearest store stocking the part.

Bob

If unsure on setting up the Nikon 8400 post on the web and either Neil or I will try and help

Thread