Thread
Print

[Rails] Band-bellied Crake 斑脇田雞

The Crake was showing well again this evening (about 1730-1800). It was foraging in the open on the grassy area outside the visitor centre. At the time all visitors were outside the fence at the visitor centre (which was closed). Judging by observations of the bird's behaviour and discussion with people who had been present earlier, I suspect that the bird is sensitive to disturbance is people are seen around the grassy area, retreating into the bushes if concerned (where it is sometimes visible but views are not as good).  

I recommend that if you are keen to see the bird tomorrow, you stand away from the grass, perhaps outside the fence or behind the wall by the gate. Hopefully that will mean that the bird will again feed in the open, and everyone can enjoy great views of the great bird. It may not be visible all the time but I suspect patience will pay off (and I'm always impressed by how patient photographers are!)

Thanks to all for finding and identifying the bird and making the information availble so that we can all see it. It seems that people are getting some great photos of a species that is very difficult to see, I look forward to seeing more photos in the coming days.

Thread