Thread
Print

Changes to the HK List (25th June 2009)

I think the issue of cage damage may appear to be increasing mostly because of the high quality of photographs now provided of most HK rarities. This allows a level of scrutiny of plumage that was not previously possible. The RC, of course, considers carefully each individual, and whether the pattern of feather damage is more likely to relate to cage damage, or if it can be accounted for by normal wear. I agree with their decision that if the first record of a species involves an individual showing unusual feather wear, it is better to retain the species in Category E rather than rush into Category A. The situation can be reviewed for each species at a later date if necessary, especially if further records support a possible wild origin (Blue-winged Pitta is an example of this re-assessment, I believe other species are being considered for upgrading from Cat. E).

I know some of the RC were initially of the opinion that the Red-headed Bunting and Hawfinch were probably wild, so I'm sure the decision has not been taken lightly. Although some 'good' species may slip through, I think it is also important to strike a balance against letting 'bad' species onto the list. I think for the balance is generally correct at the moment.

Thread