Thread
Print

Which gulls? Please help 何種鷗?請指教

Which gulls? Please help 何種鷗?請指教

By looking at the two bigger gulls' eyes, I think they are two different species.  Is the right one with a sharper yellowish eye a Slaty-backed gull and the left one a Heuglin's gull?  Thanks in advance.
The photo was taken on 15Mar09 at Mai Po.
睇兩隻大鷗的眼神,好像兩個不同品種,右手面的是否灰背鷗,左手面的是否烏灰銀鷗?
相片於零九年三月十五日在米埔拍攝。謝謝!

[ Last edited by msamuel at 12/07/2009 18:53 ]

Mike, thank you for your impressive educational response.  I did overlook the color of the right gull's legs.
With your encouragement, I included another photo taken on the same day at the same place below.  The right gull has pink legs and is obviously larger (heavily built?) than the gull on the far left, which I think is a Heuglin’s Gull.  It appears to me that it has not fully grown into an adult yet as it still has a black tail bar.  Its paler mantle makes me rule out the possiblity of being a Slaty-backed Gull or a Heuglin’s Gull.  To me, it is a choice between Yellow-legged Gull and Vega Gull.  By the size, I lean towards the former, but the extensive head and neck streaking make it does not look right to me.  Could you or other experts please comment again?

Mike, thanks again for your detail input. Gull identification is really a challenge.  I heard some of the bird watching friends have already given it up partially if not completely.  Not sure from where else I can gain more knowledge on this part!

Samuel

[ Last edited by msamuel at 30/07/2009 20:32 ]

Thread