Thread
Print

Digiscoping with TLS-800

It is very difficult to use this ultra-long tele lens. Yet, you still got a very good series. Good work, Mandy.
After getting the long plate and adding of suitble vibration absorbent. The overall picture can be further improved.

I have had my TLS-800 for quite a long time. However, I am reluctant to use it due to the vibration caused by the DSLR camera, not easy to get a sharp image by using it.

Today, I try it out again with the installation of my new long plate (25cm) to support the scope. It is obvious from the shots that the vibration created was reduced significantly with the use of long plate.

The following test shots were taken at ISO 320 (1/160s) and ISO 500 (1/100s) for the road sign and the sparrow respectively. No shutter cord, mirror lock, etc. was applied in the shots.

Place you left hand and apply downward force slightly on the front portion of your scope while your right hand hold your camera during exposure is a very efficient method to reduce the vibration, this is the skill of handling ultra-long lenses.

The setup,

Uncropped image, ISO320, 1/160 second, taking from the setup show above to the roadsign behind.

100% cropping of above image

The sparrow, ISO 500, 1/100 second

[ Last edited by cwchan at 9/09/2009 22:14 ]

Nice shots, Bob.

Poor-man's 800mm ?

It is not cheap, but I agree it is the lightest 800mm indeed.

Apart from vibration, another problem of using the angled scope with the TLS800 is the twist of the system,in particular if you are carrying/walking around in the field.  This is not obvious for straight type scope.
With the help of 33cm long plate and a pair of angle brackets and a small ballhead, the problem is now solved.

A pair of angle brackets : $68 (at Shamshuipo)
The samll ballhead : $50 (at Shamshuipo)

Of course, you must tolerate the workmandship at this price. For those who have the long plate, it is a good try.  

Thanks Peter for the suggestion if you want the portrait format.

However, regarding the non-slip material such thing, I hold different view.
If the long plate has already been provided with retaining pin, retaining slot or double bolts for securing the lens (fieldscope in this case). This kind of material in between is not necessary at all.  I don't think it has anything to do in reducing vibration, enhancing the security of the lens.   Arca, Wimberley, RRS have already set this standard for connecting the their plate to the lens directly metal to metal without the necessity of adding any material in between.

Of course, for those long plate without the provision of retaining pin, retaining slot, double bolts, etc,  non-slip material in between the plate and the lens is a must, to grip the lens in secure position.

Wing

[ Last edited by cwchan at 17/09/2009 20:00 ]

Having seen my DIY, C-fu makes this supporting bracket for my TLS-800, the system can take portrait format as it can rotate now. Not yet tried it out in the field.

I tried it out again in field with the supporting bracket, putting it on a Gitzo No. 2 tripod and a Gitzo 2380 Video head. The TLS-800 is really excellent optic even under the unfavourite condition that against the light. If you manage to get the right focus, it always gives you a very sharp image.

Nikon D300, ISO 320, 1/160 second, +0.3ev

Asian Brown Flycatcher
Quarry Bay

The original uncropped image

Shing Mun Valley Park

TLS-800 at Nikon D300

ISO200, 1/30 second, -0.3EV
Taken in portrait format, nearly uncropped.

ISO200, 1/30 second, -0.3EV

ISO200, 1/160 second, -1EV

[ Last edited by cwchan at 11/10/2009 17:55 ]

You finally got the L-bracket...Peter.
Nice shots, in particular the first one, I like its pose.
It is hard to believe you can have you shot (the second one) be taken at 1/15 second for a super-tele lens like this.

Thread