Thread
Print

Greenish Warbler?

Greenish Warbler?

Po Toi, 18/10/09

[ Last edited by cywong at 25/11/2010 23:25 ]

I think so but better to have some comments from experienced birders!
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

I would go for Arctic - the white supercilium does not reach the bill, wing bars are thin and I think I could see a dark line towards the tip of the lower mandible. =)

Whilst this has two wing bars and looks like it has dark legs, this is in fact an Arctic Warbler.  The left leg is in shadow and therefore looks dark, whereas the right leg is paler and more Arctic like in colour.  The supercilium terminates before the bill (on Greenish it reaches the bill base and sometimes forms a small pale area on the forecrown), the primary projection is long, and the sixth primary, (the outer edge of which is clear) does not have an emargination which is a critical in the hand difference between Arctic and Greenish Warblers.

Hi Paul,

May I ask you to expand on your point about the emargination on the 6th primary? What is an emargination - is it the pale edge to the wingtip? Also what are the status of the other primaries (as in why the 6th primary should be special)? Lastly, is the difference in primary projection between Arctic and Greenish diagnostically useful? Thank you for your reply in advance!

Koel

Thanks for comments, Koel and Paul.  I thought the legs were really dark enough but actually it was mistakenly interpreted.  Also, I've been learnt to tell the difference between Greenish and Arctic!
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

This and the other photo were very useful.  It helps a lot on clarifying the id problem of these two warbler.  Thanks to all.

HF Cheung

Thanks for all your reply and especially for Paul's detailed explanation of the difference between Arctic amd Greenish Warblers.

Thread