Thread
Print

Leica 800mm

Leica 800mm

I would like to know more about this lens. There are so many nice photos posted.

Appreciate any assistance in pointing out more information about this type of lens.

Thanks.

Dear Thomas,

Thanks.  I have a Canon Camera and 100-400mm Lens.  I wonder what is the differnce in Leica 800mm Lens (which many of our birders are using) as compared to a Canon 800mm Lens which is very expensive.

Is this related to auto-focus function?  What is a proper set up with Canon (say 7D or 5D Mark II) with Leica 800mm.  Can it be just 'plug and play'?  

A stupid question:  where to get the Leica 800mm and approximate cost of it?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

TSA

Dear Thomas,

Much appreciate your advice.  Indeed, these gears are not cheap at all.

I need to think twice again.  

Thanks again.

TSA

Thomas photo quality attracted my attention and hence I asked the question.  I am not very sure what I should do if I would like to upgrade my gear.

Canon 800 mm spec as per attached link.  

http://www.canon.com.hk/en/Consu ... 47&tag_id=12287

It weights 4.5 KG and it is indeed not cheap.  Of course, there were also plenty high quality photos posted recently.

Some birders are using 500mm plus an extension lens to achieve approx 800mm.  Perhaps we need some good advices on differnt set ups in related to their autofocus ability.  With such distance, is autofocus effectively?  I may ask another stupid question.

Thanks in advance for more information,

tsa

Thanks for info and advice.

I went to Canon show room and they did not have a 800mm lens for demo.  Would appreciate further advice where we can have hands-on feeling/testing for such lens.

Thanks again.

tsa.

Thread