Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Bridge over Channel at Shek Kong Airfield Road 石崗明渠建行車橋

I assume the main aim of the project is to provide a linkage between the Shui Lau Tin area and the Kam Tin/Shek Kong area - at the moment vehicle access through this area is actually not very convenient and I can understand why Shui Lau Tin villagers may want easier access to Kam Tin town/Highway. I haven't seen the exact plans but I guess this is likely to be a reasonably small bridge which in itself may not be very damaging for the local environment.

I think the big issue is likely to be the 'associated drainage and environmental improvement works'. This is likely to mean repairs to the concrete lining of the channel (resulting in the loss of vegetation). There may well be some associated tree felling along the channel.
There seems to be no suggestion yet of widening either of the roads which would also have a significant impact. It's unlikely that much of the channel would be covered because this would limit drainage of the area.
It's certainly worth keeping an eye on this though, to make sure the development isn't unnecessarily large-scale.

Thread