Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen - Spring 2010

I should have gotten up earlier!  The Savannah Nightjar was still calling at 5.55am as was a barred owlet.  Barn swallows have started to accumulate as well, some are prospecting old nests in Pak Tin Kong.

Dylan

I have been very remiss in not posting on here, apologies.  A combination of work and family demands have badly eaten into the important things in life...

Small raptors seem to  be very obvious around Lam Tsuen at the moment, I have had more and better views of Besra in the last week than I have ever had before, as well as crested goshawk.  There have been display flights over the marshy areas around Pak Tin Kong and yesterday evening I saw one carrying a long legged bird, it then perched and started to pluck the prey.  It could possibly have been a crested mynah, the Besra was certainly having trouble flying with the heavy payload.

Also apparent are the first broods of birds.  Young tree sparrow, Sooty-headed bulbul, Crested Bulbul have been about.  I was very pleased to see an adult and two young kingfishers on the stream near my house this morning.

Slaty-legged crake, chestnut winged, plaintive and Large-hawk cuckoo are still calling around the marshy area and are competing with the frog chorus.

Dylan

7 May 2010; 4.30 pm
Ha Tin Liu Ha   (marshy area)

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, Asian brown flycatcher and at least three Dollarbirds (more birds flew behind a tree canopy so didn't see what they were)

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 8/05/2010 12:19 ]

12 May 2010; 6.15 pm
Ha Tin Liu Ha   (marshy area)

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo calling.  I'm yet to pin down the exact location- but it is somewhere in the forested area behind the three small villages that flank the marshy area.  Yesterday, it was more towards Ping Long.  The calls are intermittent- unlike the Large Hawk Cuckoo- still calling all night.  I've only heard Indian Cuckoo once this year in the valley; Plaintive Cuckoo, Koel, Greater and Lesser Coucal are still going strong.

Dylan

Thread