Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen Autumn 2010

Mike

I had a Wood Sandpiper with a Green Sandpiper on the river below the Golden Triangle on February 27th this year. This is the only one I can recall seeing in LTV - which must be why I have written an exclamation mark next to the record in my notebook!

Cheers,

Dave

At the overgrown southern corner of the She Shan grassy area this afternoon (29-8-2010) there were at least 3 Bright-capped Cisticolas and a Zitting Cisticola.

There were also 500++ Wandering Gliders Pantala flavescens in the area. This dragonfly is a long-distance migrant and this swarm probably consisted of recent arrivals from the Philippines moving ahead of tropical storm Lion Rock.

david

[ Last edited by ddavid at 29/08/2010 20:34 ]

Dylan

Pantala flavescens seems to have a variety of English names - Wandering Glider, Typhoon Dragonfly, Orange Glider and, as you note, Globe Skimmer.

Many thanks for the link to Charles Anderson's talk on the migration of the Globe Skimmer from India to Africa.

The paper he wrote on the same topic can be found at http://www.mrc.gov.mv/index.php/publications/

It's interesting the link he makes between the migration of birds such as Amur Falcon at the same time and on the same flight path as the dragonflies. As he says in his paper, Amur Falcons use the Globe Skimmers as a source of "in-flight refuelling".

Fascinating stuff!

dave

She Shan/Ha Tin Liu Ha - 1/10/10 - p.m.

Cattle Egret 1
Red-rumped Swallow 1
Richard's Pipit 1
Grey Wagtail 2
Siberian Stonechat 3
Bright-capped Cisticola 1
Zitting Cisticola 1
Hair-crested Drongo 2

dave

She Shan/Ha Tin Liu Ha - 21-10-10 - late afternoon

Green Sandpiper - 1
Red Turtle Dove - 1
Richard's Pipit - 14
Olive-backed Pipit - 7
Stejneger's Stonechat - 6
Dusky Warbler - 5
Zitting Cisticola - 1
Asian Brown Flycatcher - 1
Ashy Drongo - 1

dave

1-11-2010

The baicalensis-type White Wagtail was still at She Shan this afternoon (thanks to Mike for directions). The Daurian Redstart & Asian Brown Flycather were still on the grassland area. There was also a Chestnut-eared Bunting there.

dave

7-11-2010

At She Shan grassland this afternoon, around the tree nursery, there were two Bramblings (winter male & female), two Yellow-breasted Buntings (1st-winter males I think) and a Red-throated Flycatcher (heard).

Dave

Mike -

I had a Chestnut-eared Bunting at She Shan on November 1st - I posted the info in this thread!!

dave

There was a Eurasian Skylark at She Shan grassland this afternoon - 18-11-2010.

dave

Thread