Thread
Print

Tung Ping Chau Autumn 2010

Tung Ping Chau Autumn 2010

Recently I have been thinking that Tung Ping Chau could be a great island birding location and with regular coverage could get some of the rarities which show up at Po Toi.  Well I didn't have too much there today but seems there are not many migrants anywhere in HK from the lack of posts recently.

On the ferry ride

2 Red-necked Phalorope
2 White-bellied Sea-eagle

On the island

1 Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler (only warbler of the day)
1 Asian Brown Flycatcher
1 Striated Heron
2 Black Drongo

While I do agree that geographically Po Toi maybe better situated for migration, I can't help but think that some of difference between the two island is logistic.  Ferries only run to Tung Ping Chau on the weekend and only once a day and it is 11:00 am by the time you reach the island.  Furthermore, Ma Liu Shui is far from convenient to get to.  Po Toi island of course has Geoff doing constant monitoring and on the weekends usually half a dozen or more birders during migration. I rarely ever see a report from Tung Ping Chau.

John's comment about not enough areas in HK being covered is well taken and I certainly agree.  I would like to check Tung Ping Chau more frequently.  I rather like the environment there more than Po Toi as sometimes on Po Toi I wish for more habitat to check and I think the restaurants are better at Tung Ping Chau.  Unfortunately, it is just not convenient for me to reach Ma Liu Shui.  I would try to check it a few more times this fall but certainly not on a weekly basis.

Thread