Thread
Print

[Geese] Bean Geese at Mai Po, 3 Nov 2010

Bean Goose (record shots)

Bean Goose (record shots)
3/11/10
17:20 - 18:00
Tower Hide

Super surprised to see them - especially as the sun has begun to set!

Thanks to Tung for pointing out that the second bird from the left in the first photo might be of a distinct subspecies from the rest, with its smaller bill and slighter build in favour of Tundra Bean rather than Taiga Bean - I'll leave experts to decide whether we're really looking at 4 Taiga Bean Geese, 3 Taiga + 1 Tundra, or otherwise!

[ Last edited by kkoel at 3/11/2010 21:37 ]

Following the Bean Geese' example, I would be owing you a vegetarian lunch XD

Thanks everyone for the messages, and congratulations to everyone who shared all these beautiful photos!

Thanks John too for digging up the literature for the puzzle between the two Bean Goose taxa. In our 2 problematic Geese, the "grin" as David mentioned is really reminiscent of serrirostris from John's links, while the thin neck and big size go for middendorffi, and the bill shape itself seems somewhat in between the two.

So I wonder whether serrirostris and middendorffi actually hybridize - and whether the distinction of "taiga" and "tundra" Bean Goose is based more on research on fabalis/rossicus in Western Europe, such that in Eastern Siberia middendorffi/serrirostris actually shows more interbreeding than is currently known?

I'm not familiar with Beans at all, just thought this might be some food for thought. Would be nice to hear more from Goose experts =)

Thread